Ben Factor

I watched the last two webcasts and I would agree wholeheartedly. I’m very excited to see his work in South Bend in couple of months.

I’m not a huge fan after the last two shows. My biggest complaint about waful was too much movement in general, and Ben has stepped it up another notch. Also felt like there was less diversity in colors and overall design (i guess that’s the right word?..)

I’ll be interested to see how he changes as he grows into the band.

Interesting. I haven’t seen anything since, but I remember at the Athens shows he seemed to move the lights pretty minimally.

Over the two shows that I saw him at, I just saw a lot of the same design cues. One in particular (hard to describe, but looked like kinda like a sharp hourglass/witchcraft symbol tbh) he used a lot.

One other thing I noticed is that he doesn’t yet have a first set feel vs. second set feel. I remember a good aspect of Waful was that he saved certain cues/designs for specifically second set only. I liked that a lot.

These are all super nitpicky criticisms/thoughts though and I know he will grow and evolve over the next few tours. Really psyched to have him on board bc he’s already doing a stellar job.

I’m with you on that. He definitely uses a lot of the same sequences and color patterns, but I think all of that gets resolved over time with experience. But he’s picking it up…a lot quicker than I thought he would. We’re lucky to have this guy get thrown right in and do as well as he’s been doing.

1 Like

I think Ben is doing really well and improving really fast.

And I still miss Waful. The geometric patterns he created were elegant, beautiful. Ben’s style seems more motion-oriented and more common. Again, I think he’s very good and will keep getting better. I’m keeping an open mind. But I’m skeptical about ever loving his work the way I did Jeff’s.

Band still rocks so it’s all good.

2 Likes

Man I have not seen umphreys in a long as time

I’m digging his lights more and more with each passing show. Here’s a picture from last night. Anyone want to just the Factor Fan Club with me?

6 Likes

I’m all in on him. Got to talk to him very briefly in Asheville and he seemed like a great dude. Also really like the idea that there’s a young gun in the crew now bringing in something fresh

6 Likes

As long as he doesn’t yell at me for smoking weed, I’m in on the fan club.

9 Likes

Did I miss a post about waful yelling at you for toking?

1 Like

Lol yes. Was smoking a joint by FOH and he yelled at me to go outside. He was legitimately pissed.

5 Likes

Imagine being the light guy for Umphrey’s McGee and thinking people shouldn’t smoke joints while you’re at work

16 Likes

I was just trying to enhance his work :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Imagine being a huge tool around a bunch of super cool coworkers

13 Likes

Agreed. Also, imagine being a sick to a fan base that not only welcomed, accepted & appreciated you, but some people even idolized the guy. There were even parody ‘Waful House’ shirts out there…:man_facepalming:

:-1: :-1:

3 Likes

He’s good

6 Likes

great seats

That’s what a crypto wallet will get you

5 Likes

I welcome the use of the video screen in this video. Is this part of his setup or just taking advantage of the venue?

1 Like