Asking for a friend

Whole album sounds like if Half Delayed got made into 10 different songs, excluding the last 2 actual prog-sounding songs

3 Likes

We finally listened to the album today while doing some weeding in the yard, after neither of us having heard any of the tracks when they were released as singles. It was alright, but def not anything all that exciting, but wasnā€™t really anticipating that either. There were a few tunes that I liked more than others, but overall it was nothing very interesting. Will give it another spin or two, to see if anything grabs me/us a little better, but not really expecting any big change in how we feel about it. A lot of it just felt kinda run of the mill, fairly lazy UM, aside from a couple tunes that had a little bit of extra personality. Will be interested to see how some of the tunes develop in the live setting.

3 Likes

Now go say that on VFJ.

3 Likes

Hahaā€¦

I will say that I donā€™t understand the hate though. Itā€™s not a terrible effort, and it was 100% UM, but I def got some of those dad rock vibes from a few of the tunes. Whatever though, all the band membersā€™ lives are changing, so their style will change slightly over time as well. It certainly wasnā€™t terrible, and even the slow ass tunes werenā€™t awful, just not very interesting, at least not to me. Iā€™m sure there will be some fans who love each song, for their own personal reasons, and Iā€™ll never judge someone for liking music. The ā€˜UM can do no wrongā€™ pull can be very strong, when the fan is in that stage of passion for their artistic output, and people like different eras of bands. Itā€™s not a new thing by any means.

13 Likes

Spot on

This sums up probably half of the album for me. A couple tracks have grown on me but I donā€™t ever see me listening to this a lot.

1 Like

Itā€™s you >>>>>>>>>>>> AFAF

2 Likes

I will say that about half the album has really grown on me through repeated listens. At first I was pretty meh about nearly all of it, but some songs Iā€™m enjoying much more now, even IDKWIW has grown on me. Escape Goat is the standout IMO, but the songwriting is among the most polished theyā€™ve ever done even if I may not like some of the songs myself. New Wings got in my head big time, and I could see that being pretty epic on a big stage.

1 Like

Been seeing a lot of people saying this and I just donā€™t see it. Production and arrangements are polished (I guess) but the songwriting seems pretty lazy to me.

1 Like

There are a lot of catchy songs, but for me that doesnā€™t make them necessarily good.

What does ā€œlazyā€ mean though? Itā€™s certainly not progressive, there arenā€™t that many changes, I think they just eschewed a lot of that stuff for straightforward songs that deliver concise content. Would I prefer HBB? Of course I would. But all these songs are to the point. Gotta be the shortest average track time on any of their albums by a mile.

Not even sure thereā€™s a lot of themā€¦maybe 5? The only hooks I can even think of are IDWKIW, Strides, Hiccup, New Wings (not a hook just an earworm)ā€¦ NM canā€™t even think of 5.

Edit: We could go on forever but this clearly isnā€™t the band we all fell in love with. Having said that, I think this album has some great songs, even if I still canā€™t make heads or tails out of most of BBā€™s lyrical wishwash.

Repeated progressions, similar grooves/feel, melody-less lyrics. Idk, just lazy, boring songwriting (IMO of course I guess)

2 Likes

I like most of the unreleased songs more than the ā€œsinglesā€ but overall, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever go into a show hoping to hear any of these over the older stuff.

Escape Goat, Hiccup, Pure Saturation, and Ordinary Times are the ones I enjoy most but

2 Likes

Escape Goat chorus has been living rent free in my head all day today

1 Like

My sentiments exactly. The album has started to grow on me. Not what I got into Umphreys for as many of you have stated.

Itā€™s definitely a headphones album. I enjoy all the layers and textures. And Kris Myers continues to be the best drummer in the business.

Thatā€™s what I was getting at when I said there are a lot of catchy songs. Iā€™ve had the choruses from several songs repeatedly stuck in my head.

Sorry

1 Like

Whose in charge is stuck in my head today

3 Likes

Didnā€™t really like that track tbh. TMSNEI

SIYD