All the Years Combined - random, spontaneous GD thoughts

1 Like

RIP
so I pulled my copy of the Family Album off the shelf for the first time in a while - what a wonderful book it is, and mine doubles as a personal Dead-related scrapbook of sorts, stuffed with old newspaper articles, photos and other tour memorabilia. Here’s a sticker that a friendly head gave me at Tinley Park 1990 - Brent’s last shows…

This is a sketch by my friend Ann that was one of a number of t-shirt designs that she later sold to GD Merch.
(like me,) relics of another time
Thanks for a place to share fond memories

5 Likes

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Bootleggers, not bootlickers.

4 Likes

want

Reuben and Cherise

Don’t know how to embed video. But check this AUD recording of the Dead debuting R&C. It’s amazing. The crowd goes fucking bonkers

2 Likes

Just paste in the raw link on its own line.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzAIwaTy1cc
That would expand by itself if I didn’t add the backticks for the example.

Actual working example:

1 Like

Always loved that. Especially how they realize it in waves

Just came here to say that the cover of broke down palace by Watkins family hour makes me tear up every time

The Dead’s first Unbroken Chain, 3/19/95. Over 20 years after the song debuted on From The Mars Hotel EP.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday to Brent Mydland. By far my favorite keyboard player the Dead ever had.

1 Like

I gotta see Phil, Neal Casal, and Joe Russo cover Unbroken Chain in the bar section at Terrapin Crossroads. I was balling my eyes out sitting 3 feet away from Phil eating pizza. There was maybe 15 people there. One of my fondest memories of seeing The Dead.

The next morning I ran into Phil at SFO, we were on the same flight from SFO>PHX. Had to throw in a story i’ve told on here 100x to keep up with Sultan’s humble brags.

3 Likes

That is fucken nuts.

1 Like

If you haven’t had a chance try to go and see Phil play one of his free bar shows. I would highly, highly recommend it. Most of the time he plays those sets with his son’s band (meh) but it’s still really fuckin cool to see Phil with like 30~ other people in a bar. He plays outside on the patio in the summer a lot too.

I had a great time spot seeing him at Thalia Hall in March '19. Of course I go the night AFTER he plays Unbroken Chain and Cassidy > Ruben & Cherise > Cassidy and LLR.

It’s definitely on the list. I’ve been thinking about California vacation for awhile but 'rona’d. Glad I canceled my flight to San Diego before the day of the show.

Love seeing his small intimate shows that the boys play now a days. Gotta see Bobby at some pretty small places too.

Just to help everyone out, “gotta” = “I got to” in @toomanypomas42 speak

4 Likes

if you’ve heard it before, siddown and shaddup and respect your fucking elders.
saturday in the park in sioux city july 5 2008. free music all day long. there we were rocking out to Umph’s afternoon set when Beck turns to me and sez “don’t look now, but Phil Lesh is RIGHT BEHIND YOU.” I peeked and he was. I waited for a break in the music, turned around to face him, introduced myself, and then thanked him for all he’d done as we shook hands. he had surprisingly soft skin and a gentle grip. He thanked me in turn, then that awkward moment where i don’t know what else to say, so i blurted out, “oh and it’s great seeing you out here enjoying the tunes with the rest of us,” to which he replied, Oh, I LOVE Umphrey’s McGee!" and we both grinned real big and the music started back up and i turned back around and that was that, except i haven’t stopped grinning…

I could talk Phil for days In many ways he’s always been my favorite GD member. what a mind. He’s done so much in the post Jerry era to re-invigorate the GD catalogue. Got a second chance and he’s really made the most of it imo.

8 Likes

That’s just my northern accent coming through in my typing

1 Like