A proposal for the Bort

Dear Borters:

Communication platforms across the internet have a vast range of cultural and ethical guidelines that have massive influence on the users’ experience on any given platform. Some are complex, some are simple - and they vary widely from the authoritarian-like moderation on Reddit to the truly anything goes boards of 4chan.

I believe there’s a happy medium that allows folks to express what they want while still maintaining decorum. I would love to see the Bort find that happy medium. And I believe it can happen if a supermajority of borters adopt what I am calling Guideline #1:

DON’T BE A JERK!

I believe it’s really that simple - and therefore am beginning a campaign to you all - the borters - to adopt Guideline #1 and codify it into Bort culture.

Signed,
matt/crinze

8 Likes

EAD, GTB, etc etc

4 Likes

@snuckaskitchen @funktastic @flyfishmich @Jolson @ass @toomanypomas42 @cshore @opsopcopolis @Random_Ass @gatroe @StoneJackBaller @stringz @thefussyasianman @James @Whinergetsnothing @cryan024 @sociablehodor @solvethebox @AlexTheDictator @chicagostylehotdog @DiabetesCOLE @GizaButler @UncleDutchman @PEN1S_ISLAND @ominousbeanbag @sauce07 @nsl @sabretooth @bluish @UMFree @WhoDatVols @mal @3x40oz @Andrusy @SchladopianFir @Pookells @OSUmBeaverPhreak @swb0nd @hbbubblebath @NikoEstevan @timewilltell @WOLFpacker16 @ski-bUM @iamkickinit @kramm @Yawnspterodactyl @mja271 @PattyMelt @ApostropheTH @Professor_Shuapop @CarpetCrawler @Bron-yr-Aur @WentzyMcGee @Southern_Dan @Zencer @UnCommon_5 @jcubson @KCahalan1348 @jachapman @fmoss3 @plantseedlight @andys1stbeer @RailroadEarther @LarrySellers @root

Good luck! People should be nice. I agree. People are also emotional, reactive, and irrational.

With the exception of a select few people I don’t have issue with anyone on here. I get passionate sometimes but try to apologize if I get too heated. But I’m not sure how you measure “being a jerk”

Did someone find my mediocre posts offensive?

2 Likes

Your presence in the Gentleman Thread has become problematic

1 Like

Ironically, I haven’t personally been offended by anybody’s posts at any point.

But don’t need to have been to think that simply adopting “Guideline #1: Don’t be a Jerk!” will be great for the environment around here.

1 Like

How did you know I went to old navy yesterday :persevere:

No hate here. Aside from the fast fashion aspect Old Navy is legit

You’re spending time on the same website
Taking issue and picking fights
'Cause you no longer care if you’re well liked
But you brood endlessly for your own plight
'Cause time is running out

3 Likes

Why was I tagged first

This a witch hunt or some shit

15 Likes

Historically bad taste jokes have always been a part of the bort. But I get what you’re saying. That doesn’t make things any easier to moderate.

2 Likes

because you are #1 all time in replies on the bort. figured if i’m starting a campaign I might as well begin by making my case to the users most likely to have an impact if they decide to adopt “Guideline #1: Don’t be a Jerk!”

5 Likes

Oh man. @snuckaskitchen officially “reply guy”

14 Likes

So I’m the biggest jerk? Terrible logic.

2 Likes

I joined the og Bort in '05 and was very active on there until it ended. I get it. Do what you feel. And at the same time I still propose folks adopt Guideline #1: Don’t be a Jerk!

2 Likes

I really gotta buckle down at work. Boss never should’ve given me that office.

2 Likes

Yes - this was all a backhanded way to come out as believing that bort users’ jerkiness is a linear correlation with usage. My logic is impeccable, btw

Right on. Appreciate all the work y’all do to support us dorks.

1 Like

Without conflict, there would be no resolution. Without resolution, we lack growth.