2023/12/29 - The Riv - Chicago, IL

12/29/2023 - The Riv - Chicago, IL

Set I: Push the Pig, Phil’s Farm!, JaJunk[1] > 13 Days > JaJunk, 40’s Theme, Nothing Too Fancy

Set II: In the Flesh > Another Brick in the Wall > Puppet String, You Never Give Me Your Money[2], Plunger[3] > Driven to Tears, Abacab[4] > Wizard Burial Ground

E: Conduit, Big Bottom[5], YYZ[6]

Rory Dolan on drums for Set I
Mike Portnoy on drums for Set II & Encore
! Jimmy Stewart w/Lyrics
[1] Voices Inside My Head (The Police) teases
[2] LTP 2177 shows (12-31-02)
[3] Puppet String teases
[4] LTP 469 shows (05-26-17)
[5] LTP 895 shows (02-17-13)
[6] LTP 335 shows (12-29-18), Spirit of the Radio ending

9 Likes

Song selection looks like a ton of fun

6 Likes

Im really high, havent checked the NYE thread, and im a bit behind. But YO THIS SHIT IS FUCKING TIGHT BUTTHOLES

1 Like

Oh no

8 Likes

You’re in for a rude awakening when you check the NYE thread

4 Likes

Ew gross. A Beatles song?? Fucking why??? You had all the opportunities in the world. I hate this fucking band.

4 Likes

Plunger just started. Im doing my best to avoid spoilers, but absolutely loved the ABITW > Puppet to start the set. Band sounds tight as fuck.

The Rory shit sucked.

5 covers someone help me

My dad is fucking loving it though

11 Likes

Portnoy behind the kit has awoken a demon though imo. They sound tight as fuck. Just fucking swing boys

Everyones Dad loves it.

2 Likes

Thank fucking Christ

The lights, they are sick.

They sound tight cause they’re playing everything so crisply to keep up with Portnoy speeding through shit. Has its highs and lows for sure.

4 Likes

This set has def been fast. And 1st felt slow waiting on Rory.

1 Like

I wouldve had a blast at that set though. Shit, I had a blast on the couch.

1 Like

You’re crazy

3 Likes

Lol yeah. You right.

2 Likes

Yea imagine enjoying yourself! Why would you expect ab all-time set when UM is missing a member? Only jake can manage that! Enjoyable two setter and seeing portnoy play WBG is all i could ask for.

4 Likes

I was very high on K. But I stand by the beginning of the set being :fire:.

2 Likes

Rory was a killer fill in drummer. Nailed the cymbal work especially and a lot of Myers fills. You can tell he did his homework, he did sound better on his own kit though for the Les Special opening set. I don’t think he has the same power as Myers and he sounded thin drum wise on his kit.

Was not planning on it, but I’m going back tomorrow lol

3 Likes

I’ll be thrilled if that’s the last time they ever play In the Flesh > Another Brick in the Wall. They do it well, but it’s a set-eater and it’s always the same. I’m also tired of the boomer covers in general.

Also, that second set looks like dog shit.

2 Likes