2023/12/29 - The Riv - Chicago, IL

Best UM show I’ve seen in years, and it’s not even close. Forgot that all of you are miserable POS’ with terrible taste in music. Enjoy your mids everyone!

26 Likes

I think I’d take all the Myers shows I saw this year over this one besides innings fest. Glad they’re playing through his absence but am excited to have him back in 2024!

2 Likes

Rory & Portnoy delivered. Fun show with great bust outs. UM made the most of it. Plus, Notre Dame won earlier…

3 Likes

From the couch, I though Rory’s sit in was amazing. I agree with you that he doesn’t hit as hard as Kris. I think it’s kind of weird that all of the fill ins had to use Kris’ kit instead of bringing their own gear they might be more used to. I guess it’s similar to a venue or festival providing back line gear. But it’s always set up the way Kris would play it. Learning the songs is probably hard enough, and then each drummer has had to adjust to Kris set up. I’m amazed that they pulled it off with so many different people. I thought Rory was by far one of the best.

6 Likes

It just makes ya realize how important he is to the cues. I keep listening for a POP on the snare but instead it’s a tap. Its good, it’s still UM, it’s just different

1 Like

I think it was the transition from jajunk>13 days where Rory nailed the tempo change that I thought was a great moment.

1 Like

Maybe I’m on an island but I thought Rory’s sit in was only so-so. @vezdrums that transition ->13 Days WAS nasty and unexpected and he picked it up for the 2nd half of that set, but I stand by my initial comment that most of it was just ok. The end of Fancy had some cool shit going on that I liked. I will give him props that he did a really good job mimicking Kris’ parts. I too wondered about why they would use Kris’ set… that makes no sense to me, and is already giving them a disadvantage for no reason.

Portnoy on the other hand was… interesting. Right off the bat he delivered the POWER that a lot of the fill in drummers are missing that is so clutch to Kris’ sound with the band, and he was propelling the band- huge difference. BUT halfway into it I was thinking “You got Mike Portnoy and you do fucking Floyd and the Beatles?!?” Just bizarre to me. And he was speedy as shit, which, good and bad I guess.

2 Likes

The show was great. I thought the improv sections were a little tame, but nearly flawless execution when you consider the different drummers. I loved the Beatles cover mid set 2, nice nod to 12/31/02. All og um. Loved seeing Portnoy get down. He slayed puppet strings. Fun times. UM slays Chicago. Everything in its right place. YYZ fux. Cheers!

1 Like

As far as the original compositions, I thought Rory sounded more prepared and locked in with the band.

3 Likes

Set 1 will certainly stand out as one of the better sets I’ve seen in a long time. The good shit just kept coming. 40s>Fancy was a monster.

1 Like

All good points here. I was scratching my head with the Portnoy song selection as well. Thought it would be a heavy prog set. But I guess there was WBG. Maybe that’s the reason I enjoyed the Rory sit in more from the couch.

1 Like

I had a killer time last night. Yeah there could have been less covers but given the setlist it was the best possible experience. Loved the lights and I thought both drummers killed it. My neck hates me from rocking out so hard during WBG.

9 Likes

Watching the webcast now. I dig the LED light setup.

1 Like

WMM and Dump listed as extras. They’re some of the longer songs in the catalog so interesting that they’d pick those with all those songs in both sets for that matter. Look for those to pop up tonight

Have a good time everyone!

WMM is standard 99% of the time and is like 7 minutes long…

4 Likes

Rewatching set 2 right now as some pregame warm up tunes…digging it but that Beatles cover choice def a head scratcher. Doesn’t fit in at all. But otherwise sounds good…makes me miss Kris though.

1 Like

Standard or not I enjoy WMM

6 Likes

I was a little confused too.

Love the song, but cant think of many jammed out versions.

1 Like

Dump City isn’t one is the longer songs either. It’s under 10 minutes plenty of times.

At least that one is a jam vehicle though.

Guessing it was just a boner on his part.