2022 JOTY Discussion

Listening to this right now. You guys are going to get me to start like this band again. Much more patience when Jake is not in the mix.

EDIT: Jakeless 2x2 is good but not JOTY worthy

3 Likes

(Re)listening to 1/21 Prowler then onto last night’s Mantis.

EDIT: Prowler deserves mention in this thread but never really peaks, just wanders around in a linear fashion. They could have milked out the heavily textured first section before moving onto the 4 on the floor 2nd section. Was expecting more in the way of bouncebacks but this seems to just keep moving forward without repeating earlier sections. No looping back and continuing to build on the early foundation which leads it basically falling apart before the drop into 2nd Self.

Liked 1/28 Mantis better, still more linear but it built nicely.

Neither of these is all that interesting. The Fir is particularly standard fun UM bounceback fare. Feels like Fir jams are getting super stale (like most things UM is doing lately)

1 Like

show-me-on-this-doll-where-he-hurt-you~2

Just kidding, I know how you feel.

Digging into OPs list now.

Oh shit, Joel bringing some magner sounds in this prowler jam

1 Like

love the 1/30 Phil’s and Night Nurse.

2 Likes

Jake-less 2x2 might be my JOTY so far. Simple yet effective and love the BB JC interplay

3 Likes

Oh I’ll have to check that

Alright I slapped together a noteworthy 2022 improv playlist and this shits pretty good. Front Porch is kickass, Famantis > Draco is better than I realized when listening to the show at first and Sunday’s Phil’s, Wizard and NN are above average to very good versions.

I’m ready to board the fluff train!

That gif gave me a seizure. Send me your address so I can send you my hospital bill.

2 Likes

420 Your Moms Blvd

5 Likes

@ryanstasik I love what you do in the start of the draconian jam from the other night!!

5 Likes

@ryanstasik do you remember in 2012 when I was a total fucking umphreys noob fanboy V4J cringe lord and bought a poster at a show and asked you to sign it “go fuck yourself — love, Stasik”? Am I responsible for the absolute dogshit person you have become?

3 Likes

I think the Prowler is the JOTY so far. I really enjoyed the recent NN and Mantis>Drac>Mantis as well.

Besides the jams on the 27th, everything else in the OP is the second set opener. Is this 2022 Umphreys? A second set opener type of band? The jury is out!

1 Like

That would definitely fit with how some think the band gets most of their ideas. “Hey Alexa, what has Phish been doing lately that has people excited?”

Excuse me but Deer Creek Simple was third song second set

Actually song 4, damn! And the 27-min Blaze On in the same set was song 2. Not sure what was in the water at Deer Creek that night (next show, the one I went to, they reverted back to set 2 song 1 getting the treatment).

Fuck you’re right my b.

I was there for all three nights and luckily tripping very nicely for that Simple. I had a good time during Blaze On but maannnnn that Simple was so cool.