2022/11/12 - UMBowl IX - The Riviera Theater - Chicago, IL

Dude reeked of Indian food too (he was not Indian)

5 Likes

I love the Riv. Total dive but great room for some dirty jams.

I think you are missing Unevolved in this song list.

6 Likes

This 1st set is the most excited I’ve been about a UM set in a long time. I sincerely hope Wide Open and Exit Signs stay in rotation in particular. The one thing that makes me a little nervous is how long these songs are, because I want them to stick around. I wouldn’t mind a bit of chopping to get to that point (the coda of Wide Open probably doesn’t actually need to be there, for example.) But the added writing they did on top of the stews is so much better than most of AFAF it’s not even funny.

Also, Unevolved is by far the least cohesive and worst of this batch, EXCEPT that I want that 7/23/17 Push the Pig chunk to stick around. Not even my preferred genre of UM, but that’s the type of funk they should be doing. They can cut that out and make it a 4 minute song if they like :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unevolved is an apt title for sure because it is the most stitched together …not sure how much sense the 7-23-07 PTP funk section makes with the NoHo ItK soaring/uplifting section. But honestly was still probably my favorite part of the set. The tension building into the second vocal section, followed by the proggy 3-15-07 Dump City stew was so damn thrilling in the moment.

3 Likes

Did they jam in the Raw Stewage set or were the stews all kinda straight forward?

Damn, just saw they did a 8 minute Escape Goat. Brutal. I would have been expecting that to blow the roof off considering UMBowl and how consistent of a vehicle its been since its debut.

3 Likes
5 Likes

The jam in Unvevolved was awesome

5 Likes

I thought the same but I just relistened to the 11/1/12 Noho ITK after @Bron-yr-Aur mentioned it and I think that “jam” is just the Noho ITK

Ah. Never caught it on first two listens but am running this set back a third time and am going to listen for it this time.

Was bummed they didnt open s3 with it even though the Silent Type jam took off. Had headphones for when they did play EG but was definitely bummed when i could hear them building the Bridgeless reprise.

2 Likes

Joel liked my tweet asking for a big set opening EG. Instead we got end set 8 minute special

7 Likes

Yeah idk how I missed @Bron-yr-Aur and @kev347 's post about this set. Nail > Head. Incredible songs that are definitely on the BTL timescale. Theyve neutered songs in the past though to create room for jam slots so it will be interesting to see what they do with them in 2023.

1 Like

Im only hearing the noho ITK from 6:20 - 8:10. then it goes into what I considered the jam

Edit: Then back at 11 min mark

1 Like

I feel like thats normal for Raw Stewage, though. Trying to blend those sections together doesnt leave room for new improv. Sure they still vamp around the sections tho.

Any raw stewage turned vehicle (Draconian, Remind Me, etc) pretty much earns the stripes like any debut song it seems. Even Draconian had two jam slots during its first tour but then was chopped to one.

1 Like

Just finishing up this raw stew set. Might be my favorite one so far. Not sure if I’ll dig into it but I’m curious which parts were the Jake Boondock demos

Damn they were really cooking up something good in this Small Strides. Shame it got aborted

1 Like

Seems like Unevolved is just this years Onward > Upward. Awesome in the moment but a little too much to be a regular. Maybe they’ll play it at a Peoria show, though.

3 Likes