2022/08/27 - Sacred Rose Festival - Bridgeview, IL

+1

2 Likes

Lmao

Is it a heat thing?

Nah I think there is a storm actually coming. Hoping we can thread the needle and avoid it though!

Not for another few hours. Are they announcing anything? Maybe just testing the display for when they need to actually announce it?

Seems a bit premature to issue a weather warning a few hours in advance, maybe they want to ensure everyone has time to get someplace safe. I hid in a porta potty full of spiders during the rained out northerly island show in 2017, that sucked.

1 Like

They haven’t made an announcement yet but they’re putting tarps up and the infamous string dusters are not playing

Bummer

I agree but I also feel like this show has a lot of the modern UM pitfalls like a very boilerplate setlist and jams that sound exactly like what you would expect them to sound like. Linear, Wappy, Tinkles, HBB jams just sound very “type 1.5” to me.

Small Strides and Junk are my two highlights, overall a very solid show, just not terribly exciting. A 20m Escape Goat or debut of Hiccup/Ordinary Times/Work Sauce would have made this more interesting to me.

1 Like

Eh, agree to disagree on HBB and especially Linear. I’ve got about 20 very boring type 1 Linear jams to show you :slight_smile:

I will absolutely give you that these setlists are stale though. Unfortunately, a new album is probably not going to help that but I’m happy that the new songs seem to be replacing the Crucial Taunts of the world rather than the jam vehicles. There’s no reason they couldn’t play something like Out of Order or Educated Guess or even Miami Virtue more at a festival though.

1 Like

Guys when you say type 1 or type 2 jam, what do you mean? @kev347

Type 1 stays within the structure of the song…same key, chord progression, tempo etc. Type 2 leaves the confines of the song and becomes its own new thing.

3 Likes

Thank you :grin:

In general, one reason I like new Umphrey’s a bit less than old is they just don’t do that many full-on type 2 “we’re building a whole new song within the song” type jams anymore. And that goes double for a festival like this one. About the best I can hope for at a festival is a show like this where at least they do the type 1/“1.5” jams to the best of their ability. But compare that to a show like Thursday night, where I would say 3 jams in the 2nd set, Slacker, Puppet, and Crooked, all went type 2.

5 Likes

Type 1.5 jams, lolz

7 Likes

The vocals on the new songs sound a lot stronger on this show compared to previous versions. I wonder if they practiced some Friday before hitting the main stage for these sets

This s2 (festival standards) FUX like a sultan pool side solo show. Haven’t seen much love for the 1348 but I definitely dig it and smooth transition back into the comp.

Agree with HBB getting the treatment as of lately. There hasn’t been one that blows my lid like Milwaukee ‘19 but between Asheville, Caverns and now this (I’m sure I’m forgetting a couple), I wouldn’t hate a HBB-stein on HoF ‘22

Linear jam have me a stank face, real contentious stuff. Junk is solid as well. Good improv all around in this s2

4 Likes

The Linear jam got close to some bass-wobble wubs. At least that’s how I remember it live.

1 Like

I legit almost shit my pants due to the bass during Linear.

The acid also helped

4 Likes