2022/08/24 - Frederik Meijer Gardens - Grand Rapids, MI

Enjoying this one a lot. They sound like they are channeling some 06-07 vibes this weekend. Lots of extended soaring jams, Dayville Haunt Fir and Mitten are great.

4 Likes

Dayville is a beast of a vehicle

2 Likes

Yeah it is delivering great old school sounding type 2 jams and honestly it’s one of the best Jake tunes in a decade.

4 Likes

Just finished my first listen of this one. Right up my alley. Perfect set list. Fun jams.

3 Likes

Joel should setlist way more. Seriously, what do you want, Bayliss? This setlist still has plenty of newer songs, both on the new album and otherwise. Only one super obscure one. And it actually flows and allows for like 7 good jams in the same show.

As awesome as the Slacker from Vic is, and as profoundly better than anything from this show, I think I’d still rather have been “in the room” for this one. Consistency FTW. It’s a fun argument though.

5 Likes

This 2nd set and Vic second set are pretty close and obv this first set is at least a solid B+ so this show def has the edge. Utopian > Haunt > Fir and Dayville > Draco are top shelf segments. Even the short DBK has a cool d’n’b jam

The fluidity of the improv this weekend is super impressive. Nothing stalling out, no resorting to Jake chugs or cover jams, no generic funk jams…hope it continues for the Sacred Rose fest

4 Likes

Relistening to this show again, 2nd set is what I remember from my first 5 years seeing UM. Makes me almost want to travel to see them again, almost. Dayville definitely impressed me and I’m lukewarm the new album. They are doing a far better job integrating the new material than they did with Mantis in 2009.

5 Likes

Haunt jam > Utopian jam is really some A+ 2022 era Umphrey’s.

1 Like

I feel like the Haunt jam was a little disjointed, at least live. Sounded a little better while relistening to it.

Haunt might be my least favorite jam in this show (a bit disjointed and rushed, but still decent) but that’s more a reflection of this show’s quality than anything. Utopian > Haunt > Utopian is still an absolute dreamworld segment and the Utopian jam helps get it there IRL for sure.

I do wonder if the band’s recent anti-cover stance has even translated to how often they played Utopian. It goes on a much longer hiatus than usual, and then when it comes back, The Haunt is in the cover slot? I’m suspicious :slight_smile: You could always go back to the original, you know…

2 Likes

Im ok with all of this

2 Likes

Agree with everyone…great jams throughout this show, definitely a top show of the year contender

1 Like

I definitely am OK with all of it too (other than Utopian being on the shelf for a bit too long), but figured I would point it out. Really beginning to wonder if Jake put a condition on him coming back that the band would play less covers.

1 Like

maybe his ex got the covers in the divorce precedings

5 Likes

Cover teases in jams are even very rare lately, which is wild. It’s cool to hear. The one thing I wish would come back are Jake-on-keys jams.

The Haunt jam sounds good to me. Definitely a song that deserves to be played at least a handful of times per year.

8 Likes

i agree 100%

Was there with my dad (73)

1 Like