2021/08/07 - Beech Mountain - North Carolina

So instead of jamming conduit they played a cover and instead of an original jam in the cover they did a cover jam? That’s so painfully 2021 UM.

Ugh see y’all on Phish tour

5 Likes

There are like 10 jams in this show. Problem is not the lack of jams, it’s that there are too many jams that are cut off before getting good. Also am getting tired of every. single. segue consisting of 1 min of ambience before Roctopus or Seasons drops in out of nowhere

5 Likes

Show was not good… blah. N1 > N2 without a doubt. If this run is average for 2020-2021 UM standards then that’s pretty discouraging. Looks like Wilmington or Bham will end up being the MVP of the run. You guys have fun tonight! Be safe

1 Like

That’s been the problem all year. TMJNEI

1 Like

I try to be more positive in 2021, UM included. Having said that, holy hell this looks terrible. I know who likes what songs is totally subjective, and there’s more than a few of those songs I love here, but I dunno how you can look at that whole setlist on paper and not think “ewww.”

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, or to make your own check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

Is Educated Guess tracked right? Is it unfinished or is the jam out of the end of the song?

End of the song, pretty good jam too imo

This is the first educated guess I’ve tracked with improv, or anything for that matter…until today I considered this one of the most absolutely standard songs they play with any consistency…no extended solos, no instrumental breakdowns for someone to riff on, just basically 1:1 every time

Its unusual bc usually when that song gets a jam its before “I’ll concede to” part of the song… so its usually split. This is the 1st one I’m aware of with a jam tacked onto the end

1 Like

Where were you in 2015?

Very rarely listening to live UM and basically just enjoying the studio cuts that would occasionally come up in my playlists. I’m a total noob to UM by this board’s standards. I was pretty forward about it in the topic where I initiated the Listening Guide idea, so please give me any feedback if you think I’m tracking something wrong.

3 Likes

I remember they started taking that song for a ride end of summer 2015. The Charleston run had a jammed out version, and the best version of the song that I can think of is 10/30/15.

That’s one of my least favorite UM songs of all time, so I feel your pain on that song being a pain in the neck to the shows it lands in.

1 Like

This feels like a personal attack, I’m always down for a standard Educated Guess

1 Like

Okay yeah yeah I get it. They aborted themes and jams all night. Weird set list construction. I know it’s weak ass shit but I have been wanting a fucking Type I jammed Boys of Summer from them for a long time. Pissed I missed this one…

Educated Guess fam for life #hivemind

There’s no need to overthink this through @Andrusy

1 Like

That makes one of us. Song fuckin blows. So whiny and annoying

After listening to them, I didn’t think the Beech Mtn shows were too bad. I was expecting worse based on the reviews here.

Really? What were the highlights? I mean the Draco wasn’t too bad. And I really liked the Kitchen jam. But everything being aborted and the massive amount of slop (especially in N2F), made for a very underwhelming experience.

I enjoyed the EG, N2F, Higgins (didn’t recognize it was apparently a cover jam), Remind Me, and Domino Theory as well.

I get people want to see longer jams, but I feel like lately around here everything just gets dismissed out of hand if it’s not “long enough”. When I see reviews that portray a show as awful, I expect like barely any jams, a bad collection of songs, etc. But a show like this would fit in with dozens of other “standard” UM shows I’ve seen.