2021/07/23 - Northland's - Swanzey, NH

This silent type ain’t bad. I used to fucking hate silent type when it first came out and now I actually kinda like it. Sometimes I disgust myself

5 Likes

Don’t love the sound of the composed part live , but this version is a nice little version.

Attachments and Walletsworth the standouts to me. Also enjoyed said Silent Type and thought the Prowler>2nd Self was a solid start. After reading some of the posts here, underwhelmed by the OB.

1 Like

I’ve only listened to the Attachments and OB but I agree. The Attachments was good but the OB never really hit second gear. It was a great soundscape and almost got into the gritty territory for a moment there but the tempo didn’t do it for me

1 Like

Solid first set. While none of them were all time greats, getting JO’s in Prowler, Walletsworth and Morning Song is pretty sweet. This Silent Type is pretty lit but unfortunately short. Loved what Joel was doing during Bridgeless as well.

1 Like

This first set is certainly…unique. While it is nice to get jams in THREE non-standard songs in the same set, the jams in Silent Type and Bridgeless are better than any of them :slight_smile: The last two Silent Type grooves (this and Peach Festival) have really been nice so I hope they keep building on that. With Prowler > 2nd Self, it looked like Bayliss wasn’t even aware the band was going to jam and went right into 2nd Self, so considering that disorganization what came out of it wasn’t bad. This 1st set kind of reminds me of 7/19/06 1st set, where they unusually jam both Out of Order and Moccasins but Soul Food 1 steals the show anyway.

Attachments and OB are pretty awesome as others mentioned. I could listen to soundscapes like the one they do in this OB for days.

2 Likes

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, or to make your own check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

• Den teases in Morning Song
3 Likes

Skimmed through this show today and was impressed with the patience and subtle grooves they develop throughout the show. Walletsworth & Billy were my favorite jams after one listen. Great Attachments too but I think the final chord progression that formed the basis for the peak was a bit generic unfortunately.

Ringo was pretty weird, but not terrible. Very experimental fusion-y jam, not totally succesful but shows they are taking chances.

Little GIft > standard 1348 is real nightmare material but it’s hard to hate too much after the rest of the show.

1 Like

I do like the Ringo a lot more on relisten. It can be tough to pick up on the nuances in an outdoor show and the sound wasn’t great Jake-side.

Thought it was a ballsy move to start 1348 that late in the set. If they were time aware Id’ve thought they’d just cut it and added a JO to Little Gift, however the final chord of Little Gift blends perfectly into the intro of 1348 so I thought that was a cool transition. Don’t know when the last standard 1348 was, Mantis Tour? A VIP set? Seems like a standard jam song nowadays so kind of neat to see a standard version given the amount of improv-minutes already in this show.

Neat to see a standard version of a song that always gets jams? I’m not sure about that one

3 Likes

Well I do appreciate they were keeping us on our toes this weekend. Any song seemed to be fair game for improv and a song that always gets improv didn’t have any. That’s always been a gripe with UM and takes the predictability away which makes for a fun time. Although this weekend didn’t have any JOTY candidates the surprises helped make up for it. Great light show in OB btw. Hope to see a vid of that pop up.

1 Like

Great banter in between the floor and ringo. I unfortunately was not in attendance (had to go to a wedding) but there were some other chickens from our coop cluckin around.

1 Like

Can’t believe you let a wedding interfere with your show count

1 Like

I tried to get out of it but the future mrs. chickenhatguy was having none of it

2 Likes

Only halfway through the first but had to stop and fluff this Walletsworth. Besides being a pleasant surprise, it’s a nice locked in groove that flows nicely back into the original. Surprised I haven’t seen more talk about it

1 Like

Bron mentioned it. That’s really all that matters

5 Likes

Don’t even really need to listen to it tbh

1 Like

But I did listen to it and I wasn’t a yuge fan. Much preferred the Silent Type and Bridgeless

1 Like

Yeah I haven’t listened to this show at all. Probably will check out the Wallets and Billy though. Maybe Attachments too, but that final chord progression leading into the peak has me sketched.

Cautiously optimistic of the Ringo. Heard that one was pretty weird. Just hope it doesn’t fall apart.

Probably just gonna skip Little Gift > 1348. Something tells me that’s a standardtown segment.

Huh? I want to agree with you because you seem to be flaming UM but do you mean the jam? You said you didn’t listen?

3 Likes

The Walletsworth jam has been played before, I have definitely heard it before and it’s annoying the hell out of me that I can’t ID where it is originally from.

1 Like