2021/05/15 - SeatGeek Stadium - Chicago, Il

I love all the sad Safety in Numbers songs. They definitely work if they are placed correctly in a set list and used sparingly. Having too many of them in a set throw off the vibe for sure.

“Everybody Wants You” teases in The Floor?

Of the 2 shows I prefer this one. The SS was the MVP of the show. Tribute was no slouch either. Neither was 3X. Solid versions of every song here and the setlist fits my UM preferences better than Saturday’s show - although the WBG would’ve been sweet in this show vice Saturday‘s. Overall probably the best Chicago show I’ve heard from them in quite a while

3 Likes

Agree Similar Skin was quietly one of the highlights.

Professor Wormbog was too short and I don’t know why they wouldn’t always do the “Zooms”

Tribute rules and is definitely one of this shows highlights.

Educated Guess and Suxity are throw always IMO

The Triple Wide was fantastic…real nice version and a show highlight. The floor was great and that’s a nice 1/2 punch to start the set :+1:t2:

Personally I wish they would’ve choose Red Tape over Phil’s, but nice to hear SF2 worked in.

Divisions has always kinda represented umphreys to me and while I don’t get as excited about it as I used to, this was a good number (just wished they didn’t save the ending for the encore.

Dutchman is always welcome and a treat.

Mail Package doesn’t show up that much anymore, and love hearing it, but I don’t think it’s best served as a set closer (esp. S2)

Weight around should never be in an encore slot IMO unless it’s like a 4 song E.

A big cover (think flippy floppy) would have been ideal here.

#butitsnotmyband :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I’d be okay if they permanently replaced Phil’s with Red Tape

2 Likes

I’ll take these 2 over No Diablo any day. What shocks me about Educated Guess is that I always thought it would explode into a badass jam vehicle ala Mantis. By the same token I never expected SS to become the jam vehicle I thought Educated Guess would be.

2 Likes

I love every one of the songs you listed. Nothing wrong with conveying your emotions through music. IMO, being able to compose tunes like this is one of the reasons Umphreys stands out in the jam band scene. They actually give a shit and try to write quality music that isn’t just sections to solo over for 20 minutes.

3 Likes

@jwelsh8 pretty strong Stand Up and Shout - Dio teases/jam in this Phil’s

2 Likes

There’s only one true Stand Up and Shout

Eat your heart out, Dio

7 Likes

Dio can’t you hear me? I am lost and so alone,
I’m asking for your guidance, won’t you come down from your throne.

good catch, @skinner1251. I knew I heard it from somewhere but couldn’t place it.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard this version! Which one is the original? I looked at the name real quick and thought it said Steel Panther :man_facepalming:

They’re different songs. Steel Dragon is the hair metal band from the movie Rockstar featuring Markie Mark

2 Likes

What jolson said, Steel Dragon’s song was written by Sammy Hagar and performed by Zakk Wylde and others.

The other track is all Dio, baby.

2 Likes

I had a blast at this show. SS > Tribute really sucked me in. And Im glad Im not the only one that thought that was the best 3x played in a handful of years. Still need to listen back but I remember leaving thinking this show covered so much territory.

4 Likes

Yeah I listened to this one today and really enjoyed it. SS >Tribute is a pretty big segment with good improv in both, especially that Tribute. Def one of the best 3x’s in awhile even though it has been a bit over fluffed. The → into The Floor was money too.

I would’ve had a blast at these Chicago shows. They were definitely stronger all around than the New Haven shows I attended.

1 Like

The cons: Suxcity is soooooooooo bad. The chorus vocals has got to be the worse in UM history. But I dig the groove they can use to lead into improv.

And the Phil’s was very disappointing. Was such a primetime spot for a JOTY Phils, too.

1 Like

Do you think 5/14 was better than both New Haven shows? Just based on listening to the last two weeks of shows, I would probably do 5/15 > 5/7 > 5/8 > 5/14

1 Like

I’ll have to do a full listen again with the NH shows and get back on that.

It would be tough for me to put 5/14 at the bottom of the list though. I actually love that first set song selection and Reso is probably my favorite jam from last weekend. The rest of that set falls off a cliff after that though, just like 5/8 after that glorious Ringo.

Yeah after typing that out I realized that the ranking could change on relistens. Agreed on first set song selection, got blue balls from every jam in set 2 though. I think Ringo is the jam of the tour so far and that Mantis holds its own, so I’m pretty high on it

That Reso jam is so good. Could’ve been an all-timer version with something other than Tom Petty in the first ham slot

1 Like