2019 UM Thread

is 8/29 HBC?

I don’t think I could put that on the list over 1/31.

8/29 is my biggest attendance bias pick although I was at 1/31 too. I just personally love 8/29 based on song choice and flow.

Fuck I LOVE BK Plungey. JOTY baby. GOATY.

I think 8/29 edges out 1/31 but it’s close.

10/23 Robot World :fire:

Drunk posting here. You all are dumb but I’ll actually listen to these recs for 2019 UM because they’ve been pretty consistently fluffed and @Bron-yr-Aur knows his shit.

Once I hopped off ter in March 2014, UM was never the same to me. Is that what being an adult is?

Tellin you brah 2019 UM is absolute magma

4/4 linear :fire:

8/4 was fun in the moment because of the venue and the crowd, show was pretty dang meh though. I hope they play there again and put out a soty

Slowly creeping it’s way to my top 5. That last build up at the end is fucking yuuuuge. Love what Bay is doing behind that big chugging riff. Any other year it’s a kangfirm’d top 5 but so many fire jams in 2019.

Don’t think I ever listened to anything from that 9/1 show until now, but that Phil’s jam was lovely.

Have listened to 8/31 Night Nurse and Day Nurse sooo many times, both are delightful.

The Phil’s is the only thing worthwhile about that 9/1 show. I remember 8/31 being pretty subpar too, but I’m not sure I’ve relistened at all.

That Richmond OB is still one of my favorite jams of the year too

I’ve always enjoyed listening back to Resolution too. So many quality jams packed into one show.

Richmond OB is daddy

I will echo what I have said in Sheep threads. I had a really great time seeing shows in 2019, and it really started again during the Canopy show in 2018. It was awesome to be able to truly love seeing them live again for the first time in years, but based on the shows I saw last year (16), and a lot of the stuff I have checked out based on hype, I still say it is just a great year compared to 5 years prior. Still dont think it holds a candle to the glory years. I will keep digging through jams, though.

I honestly am finding 2019-2020 highlights more enjoyable to listen to than any other era at this point. I think a big part of that is I think they are just better musicians now, more cohesive even when they’re loose and can reach bigger highs as a unit. I also just like the style of darker and proggier that they’ve been skewed towards lately. Idk why but while I can appreciate a lot of old 2007ish jams I find myself getting bored by them.

1 Like

Yea, I am sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that I fell in love with a different sound. So when I think of prime UM, it does not sound like what it sounds like now. I hate to use the whole “soul” argument, but it pretty much rings true. The band just sounds so robotic a lot of the time now, and it just is harder to connect with the music. I might be impressed by something, but it doesnt really move me or stir up any raw emotions.

1 Like

Have you considered being a ginger? Then you’d have no soul in the first place

Negative, but I am a big fan of gingers. Amy Adams, Emma Stone, the auburness of Daisy Ridley. I refuse to believe they don’t have souls. The dudes, though, definitely all heathens

Isla Fisher?

1 Like