2019 UM Thread

Went back and listened to 7/3 yesterday. Hasn’t revisited it in a while and was thrown off about how good it was.

The first set essentially being a 5 song set is pretty cool, and although Similar Skin is on HoF, I could see the argument for the HBB or Linear being the best jam of the set (4/4 Linear guy but the peak on this one feels so massive and drawn out perfectly).

Set 2 holds its own with the AiT, OB and Resolution all having above average jams. Tribute > End AiT is a very decent encore too.

I think this is my 3rd favorite 2019 show behind 8/15 and 3/29 but all things considered 3/29 = 7/3 is probably my #2 and 8/15 #1

2 Likes

I thought the Kettering Spires was pretty overrated and a snoozer when everyone was originally fluffing it. Now that I’ve vastly matured, I have learned to appreciate its greatness, and it might be a top 5 2019 JOTY for me. Like the jelly of the month club, August 2019 is the gift that keeps on giving, am I right fellow raging bulls !

3 Likes

In an effort to get myself back into UM, I’m listening to some 2019 jams and this 1348 has such a nice, melodic jam that does a nice job juxtaposing the darkness of the comp while feeling fleshed out but not overdone. How about that for some vocabulary

1 Like

Tha 2 night run has a few stand out jams fo sho. The HBB is especially tight if I remember

Oh yeah still pretty butt hurt that HBB didn’t make HoF. But the U Fir and Breaker stand out to me as well

1 Like

The bad Friday with marchs king is really fun too, nothing groundbreaking but a good time none the less

I find not listening to UM is the best way to get back in to them. I used to digest everything they released but that burnt me out early 2009 so from 2011-2017 I rarely listened to them outside of seeing them live. Now I don’t see them often so I’ve been listening to them a lot more and I can’t wait till my next show. I still wish there was a skip to improv section like you can skip trailers and credits on streaming video platforms. That would be clutch cause while I love nearly every composition, I learned to keep it fresh last decade and that does wonders for expectations in the live setting.

5 Likes

Agreed. When I saw them over the summer I had hardly listened to them all year, it made the show much more enjoyable.

I find that I burn myself out on UM when I listen to them too much. I’ve been on a UM hiatus for about a month or so.
Been listening to a lot of metal as of late.

2 Likes

Great day to listen to 8/15/19

4 Likes

Haven’t listened to UM in a while so threw on a random 2019 show and damn, 1/18/19 Kitchen is fantastic, that Seasons jam/segue at the end is executed to perfection. The Speak that follows is a well-above-average version, it’s got a type-1-ish jam and sounds like it could just end up being a shortish version but then they tack on a big minor key peaking jam to the end that takes it to the next level.

5 Likes

Great recommendation! I’ve been absorbing this thread and digging into the 2019 shows and 1/18 wasn’t one that seemed to get spoke about as much.

What are some other “under the radar” 2019 jams like the 1/18/19 Kitchen? Would love to hear folks thoughts!

2 Likes

3/2 Night Nurse & Mantis
3/9 Jajunk
3/23 Attachments
8/31 Night Nurse, Day Nurse and Mantis
12/28 Nemo and Mantis

2 Likes

Not all under the radar but here are a lot of my fav jams that didn’t make the HoF

1/25 HBB
1/31 robot world
2/2 IDM
2/14 1348
2/15 Plungey
2/16 Mantis
3/2 Night Nurse
3/21 Got Your Milk
3/29 IDM
4/4 Linear
5/31 Attachments
6/22 2x2
7/3 Similar Skin
7/3 Linear
8/3 Deeper
8/3 Utopian Fir
8/29 Wappy
10/31 Dump City

2 Likes

8/29 AIT and Red Tape too. Second se of that show is perfect UM

3 Likes

Was also cool to hear 13 days, and my b-day request Alex’s House :partying_face:

1 Like

I don’t recall that show being that great. Then again I don’t recall much of that show.

Still chasing these. May get one aim Chatt. Doubtful in Ashe.

1 Like

Was revisiting some 2019 UM while traveling and had a few thoughts

• 3/10/19 U Fir is so fucking good. I know the Milwaukee one made HoF and really dig the New Deal jam in it but this one has legs

• 8/3/19 August is pirbably my personal favorite august ever. This show should be in the top 3 discussion for 2019

• this past weekend’s Draco dance party reminded me of the 8/10/19 Draco. Very much a dance party as well and still holds up even if it’s the only thing memorable from that show

• August ‘19 one of the best months of UM ever? I’d put it up there with October ‘13 and Feb ‘14 but admittedly don’t know much about pre-2010 UM

Edit: was listening to some 8/15/19 highlights which is easily my SOTY but potentially gets ruined by the nasally dude screaming “in the kitchen” the whole time

4 Likes

I dunno about the month as a whole but 8/18/19 was perhaps the worst UM show I’ve seen