2019/12/30 - The Fillmore - Denver, CO

Technically 3 jams in this one too. I actually really like that. 3 lengthy jams over one super lengthy jam for me personally.

Yeah this is the way I’ve interpreted it. They’ve already played their 4 unique sets, 2 bustout filled sets, a CYOA set, and last night’s improv-heavy one-song set. Tonight will be a 3-set affair.

2019 was a great year for the band. Top-shelf UM.

Agreed. This run has been really unique and fun overall too

Only through the first 25 mins of this Ringo but goddamn this is incredible so far. Already three big peaks and the grooves that Stasik is laying down are so tight.

Ok, continuing into the first part of the jam with Kyle, this 2nd jam slot is still killing it, yet another big build up behind that keys progression.

The first part of the third jam is a classic bounce back with the A section reminiscent of Amble On’s B section. And then the B section is a bit of mystical jazz, so this is kind of an Amble On’s bizarro twin jam. And then the couple mins from 40m - 43m is just sublime. Joel and Bayliss layering the ethereal textures on top of a lovely bit of dance funk.

I think the only misfire of the set is BB’s second attempt at vocals, it’s just bad. Fortunately it seems like he realizes this is not working at all and abandons it.

They definitely pick up the pieces for final 10-11 mins with Coffin. Feels like a very good culmination of all of the builds and keys they explored earlier in the set, Coffin gets a big solo, and then everyone really comes together for a satisfying final peak. Just an incredible set of UM.

Yeah that second lyrical was so unnecessary. Hot take: Bayliss falsetto is terrible always. Nails on a chalkboard and this one is even worse than usual. Otherwise great Ringo. Best parts for me are honestly the sit ins which find super unique territory. The build to the peak with Coffin is so good.

HOF 19 vinyl should just be this Ringo for the first three sides and then something else for side 4. This shit is legit some of their best playing in a great year.

Love the Kyle sections of this Ringo. It’s really interesting hearing another keyboard player sit in. You can instantly tell it’s not Joel

1 Like

couldn’t agree more

Since we missed most of the couch tour second Nye set due to internet outage at the Fillmore, tour gigs gave me a voucher for the 12/30 show. Not sure if it works for everyone, but give it a try. standbyNYE. Capitals matter

I’m currently rewatching this Ringo and Kyle Hollingsworth crushes his guest appearance through and through.

But, it seems like Kyle was hurried off. There’s no debating the fact that they all played well together. At one point Joel pretty much tells Kyle it’s time for him to step off stage. You can see his posture change and he slumps over, defeated. :confused:

Listening Guide Below:

More information on this Listening Guide: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

2 Likes

Rewatching right now and completely disagree with your take here. First of all, Kyle is up there for almost 15 minutes. That is a lot of time. A LOT of time. Secondly, when Joel leans over to him he’s telling him they’re going back into the song. And then the second thing he says is definitely to stop playing at that exact moment because there’s no way he would’ve been able to sync up on the “bunch of greasy animals” riff. That riff is in 7 and in whole tone. Kyle doesn’t slump over defeated at all. He just gives sort of an oops look as he realizes they’re back in the song and he doesn’t know what to do. Fortunately he hops off at exactly the right moment.

2 Likes

Of course I buy the replay a couple days before they throw it on YT :roll_eyes:

Anyway I agree with cshore, the dueling keys had run its course IMO. I fuckin love the jam from 21m-29m, so dope.

After watching the stream, I gotta say, Your Gigs has gone way downhill in terms of editing. So many times they seem to focus on the wrong player, or show Jake from behind while he is crushing a peak. And how about the dumb as hell effects during Coffin’s solo? Lol might as well just superimpose the Windows Media Player visualizer.

And my biggest issue is the fact that the audio and video is always just out of sync enough to be super annoying. And then they charge $20 for this shit! Truly an incredible grift.

1 Like

Agree with Colin. Joel is definitely just telling him they’re about to go back into the song and then to stop because of it. Loved that sit in.

dumb as hell effects during Coffin’s solo

my wife was annoyed by the effects, for sure

All improv sets should happen more often!

Finally listened to the Ringo. Really enjoyed the majority of it. Could’ve done without the stupid falsetto lyrical.

Honestly I really like the idea of using a song as the framing for the improv set. I’d be down with them doing that again the next time they do one. They have so many multi part tunes that could work really well in that manner. I’ve always felt improv is that much more impactful when it comes out of a song you really enjoy and I think the drops back into and out of the song add a fun wrinkle that make certain pieces of the set hit even better for me than standalone.

I totally agree with that ^

Especially if they’re falling flat in a section they can start teasing a return to the middle/ending and gain their footing a little instead of everybody just out there in space.

I always thought they could do a great Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast that way…

Rise and Shine > Jam > Sunny Side Up > Jam > Morning Glory > Outro Jam

I agree that using Ringo worked really well. But am I really the only one that’s bothered about that being considered an “all improv” set? Maybe I’m just listening to too much Biscuits and Spafford lately…