What's the best 2-night run in UM history?

This Red Rocks show reminded me of the 2016 Red Rocks 2-nigher. ZPZ and JRAD openers. 2 massive throw downs.

What are some of the best UM 1-2 punches?

2 Likes

Pontiac N2 > Red Rocks N1

1 Like

Idk something from 2019

May 16 and 17, 2002. Four two-set shows. Guests, debuts.

3 Likes

6/6 and 6/7 2008 Detroit

2 Likes

Cap 2017

2 Likes

Riverview 2007 is def up there. 8/25 is a little stronger for my taste but both are phenomenal.

2 Likes

If we’re talking single venue then 11/2/06-11/3/06 at the Barrymore gotta be in the running.

8 Likes

Attendance bias, but First Avenue 2007.

4 Likes

I was literally coming in to say two of my favorite two night runs at a single venue was Barrymore '06 and First Ave '07. Both were hot fire.

4 Likes

It’s gonna be UMBowl this year bros, mark it down

3 Likes

The West Hollywood run in 2013 was rad. Really enjoyed those shows. 3/22-3/23

1 Like

I wasn’t there so no bias but I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better answer than these, these 4 shows are phenomenal.

2 Likes

Best Buy January 2012 is probably the best 2 night run (in the same venue) that I’ve seen. Higher Ground 2010 was also pretty great.

I’ve never thought 2016 RR N2 was that great…

2 Likes

04.09.2006 MCNEAR’S MYSTIC THEATRE, PETALUMA, CA, USA

Set 1: Example 1 > Hurt Bird Bath, End of the Road, The Crooked One, 2nd Self, 40’s Theme

Set 2: All In Time, Space Funk Booty > Wife Soup, Glory > Walletsworth, Bridgeless[1], Raymond, Jam[2]

Encore: Ringo[3]

[1] began with (Don’t Fear) The Reaper (Blue Öyster Cult) tease
[2] with Alan Hertz on drums; with an instrument switch that featured Andy on keys, Brendan on bass and keys, Jake on keys and percussion, Joel on guitar and Ryan’s pedals, Kris on guitar, and Ryan on keys
[3] “Jimmy Stewart” with lyrics; with (Don’t Fear) The Reaper (Blue Öyster Cult) teases

Notes:
with (Don’t Fear) The Reaper (Blue Öyster Cult) jam after Walletsworth
with Woody Woodpecker theme (George Tibbles and Ramey Idriss) tease before Raymond

04.10.2006 MCNEAR’S MYSTIC THEATRE, PETALUMA, CA, USA

Set 1: Intro > Hangover > Get In The Van > Hangover, Believe the Lie, Morning Song, Mullet (Over), Mail Package[1]

Set 2: Syncopated Strangers, Der Bluten Kat, Bright Lights, Big City[2] > Professor Wormbog[3], FF > Great American[4]

Encore: Sociable Jimmy[5]

[1] with So What (Miles Davis) jams
[2] ended with Pipeline (The Chantays) and X-Files theme (Mark Snow) teases
[3] with Seven Bridges Road (The Eagles) lyrics
[4] with The Rain Song (Led Zeppelin) jam and tease
[5] began with Hells Bells (AC/DC) tease

I love love love this accidental 2 night run in which they were supposed to play Tahoe but got snowed out of going there, and so booked an extra night in Petaluma with almost no notice (someone correct me if I’m wrong, but it might have been the day of the first show that they announced the second show). A Sunday/Monday two nighter, an hour away from a major metro, with maybe a few hundred people there.

First night has very strong Example 1, Hurt Bird Bath, All in Time, a 23 min Bridgeless (which was not jammed very often at that point, and has a smoooth transition back into the song), a very weird Raymond with an instrument switch, and a two jam Ringo (with a lyrical stew) in the encore slot.

Second night was a real hardcore fan’s Monday in the middle of nowhere type of show with the Hangover/Van sandwich, a 15 min Morning song, a 15 min Mail Package, near 30 min DBK, 14 min Bright Lights, and 13 min Great American.

Also notable is no covers over the course of the two nights.

4 Likes

Nice call on those! That Petaluma ‘06 run gets overlooked.

11.9&10.07 was the best back to back shows I’ve seen.

1 Like