UM "You Pick 2" Tier List

CWI should be in a higher tier than CWII

1 Like

CW 2 has produced some good jams. CW 1 just bores me.

I love CW1 as a composition but it can be a major buzzkill at shows if placed wrong. I too wish UM still wrote more emotional pieces like this from time to time, however.

3 Likes

This is where I land. Love it as a composition but after getting it live at a handful of shows it’s a setlist dead spot and the only thing I think is “well we’ll probably get a CW2 with a fun jam”

Edit: and yes original me had it as one of my favorite songs because I wished more songs were like it in their catalog…to @cshore’s point I’m always down for more slide guitar and Joel clean tone grand piano breakdowns

If we were being completely jam-agnostic and talking straight-up songs, CW1 is top-tier for me. Knocked it down a level since it never goes the distance. The outro live still gives me chills though.

3 Likes
Song: Conduit
  • S
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • F

0 voters

Song: Crucial Taunt
  • S
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • F

0 voters

Song: Cut The Cable
  • S
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • F

0 voters

I hate Crucial Taunt. Not as much as Suxity, but it’s a lame song.

Surprised Conduit isn’t getting much love. It’s one of my favorite compositions because it’s so unique. Definitely one I don’t tire of. Also it gets jammed way more than not, and the transition into the jams is always super smooth…and the jams aren’t just a variation on the lead in, they go all over the place despite there not being a hard break between composition and jam.

5 Likes

Yeah I’m a Condie fan as well

3 Likes

Cut the Cable was a complicated one to rate. IMO though the slow version is low B tier, and the rock version is D tier, so C tier seems about right.

Congrats to my first F, Crucial Taunt! It’s a shame because that song could be cool. The sum of its parts is not zero. But what an unappealing whole.

3 Likes

Just realized I had Crucial Taunt and Much Obliged mixed up in my head lol, changed my vote because yah pretty meh on Crucial Taunt.

1 Like

Alright I bumped up Conduit and Cable a notch.

Conduit is a decent song, but for me it’s kinda like Booth or CWII as far as it goes live. But I do like the composition more than those two.

Rock Cable is perhaps one of their worst songs, but I gave consideration to that sometimes they still do the OG.

2 Likes

Changing Conduit to a B. There’s a Moonlite Gardens show in 2011 that had a pretty decent Condy sammy in it that I really like.

1 Like
Song: Day Nurse
  • S
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • F

0 voters

Song: Dear Lord
  • S
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • F

0 voters

Song: Deeper
  • S
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • F

0 voters

Does anyone have any ideas for stats they’d like to see at the end of this? I’m already going to do the following:

• All songs in order of weighted score. Obviously we need to know the top 10 and bottom 10.
  • Songs with a different popular tier and weighted tier. Already got a few that go up a tier or down a tier with the weighted score.
  • What I’m calling “Controversial Songs”. This might be songs that get at least 1 vote in ever tier option, but it might end up being songs with a big spread in general or songs where the winning tier is 35% or less of the votes.

I had an idea for doing this with setlists to say this show ranks whatever based on song choices, but not all songs in a show might have qualified for a ranking by us (but I can still work around that). I also had an idea to go with “[member] writes the best setlists” but that seems a bit hard to peg down.

1 Like

Doing some sort of quantifiable grading and being able to generate a standard deviation would do the trick here. I think you already said each rank has a point value associated with it, so you’re already halfway there.

1 Like