The Worst Year of Umphrey's Is

Ooh yeah, that STL show is hot. Forgot that was a 2014er.

2 Likes

That HBC show is great. The sandwiches are fantastic and the setlists out side of them are pretty interesting

revisiting 2/13/09 - the vox on the mantis tunes are really rough, also, you can definitely tell they were still learning how to play through the mantis tunes live. However, the jams and fluidity throughout the rest of the show holds up really well. This second set rips. And yes, I actually am listening to UM for the first time in a long time.

1 Like

That Fox Theatre show was great. Such a shame it was undersold and they never came back.

I know it lacked jams for the most part but I really enjoyed the 11/8/14 show in Madison. Band threw us a lot of bones for #2000

FYP

1 Like

That 8/15/14 show also has that cute palindrome in the middle of the 2nd set. Nothing like some other guys palindrome segments but it’s still kinda cool. That Synco is actually pretty good, almost forgot it was a Jake on keys jam

1 Like

The palindrome was so dope and what I was referencing from the flow statement. I saw Lotus do a palindrome on 11.11.11 of all dates, that was pretty cool too.

The three pillars of a good show are improv, flow, and energy IMO. Song selection is irrelevant. Flow is determined by setlist construction, then the improv is influenced by the energy which is related to the venue, time, and place. That just my terspective though.

2 Likes

Agreed. That 12-29 show was solid throughout, then that 1st set of 12-30 was fire. That entire opening stretch through the 2X2 was really really good.

No kidding. Would have loved for that to be a regular stop. I brought 3 first timers to that StL show, the band did not underwhelm.

2014 was rough but I had a great time that year. The StL show, Ravinia was great in every aspect aside from the music, saw my first RR show, got way too spun at Summercamp, show #1999 was great and #2000 had a fun setlist, and Summerfest is always fun (great Domino theory)

I’d probably be dead if they were pumping out ‘08 style jams in ‘14.

1 Like

I am pretty sure this exact sequence is when I morphed from fanboi to jaded. I knew what a kick in the nuts that was on a new level.

1 Like

That’s my 2nd fav all in time, so glad to have caught that Des Moines show. So fun

I prefer 2/14 to 7/1, as well, but 7/1 is basically 1b. Incredible jams.

Alright I’ll bite…

2.27 or 8.27 Kitchen?

I have attendance bias for 8/27, but probably 2/27. Also love the Aggie Kitchen, and the 5/28/10 Kitchen, which is reality is just a more polished version of the Aggie Kitchen.

1 Like
  • 2/14/09 AIT
  • 7/1/11 AIT
  • other AIT

0 voters

09 and 16 are the wurst 4 shore

1 Like

Haha yes I remember that…such a gut punch. No improv Wappy > std radio edit Spires. Then I vaguely remember Coffin honking all over a Beatles cover in that show maybe.

Ok just looked it up. That show was actually pretty decent…tons of improv in the first set, including one of the best 2x2’s ever. Gotta cue up that 2x2 now, such a sick jam.

1 Like

Goes back to the point I have been making. 2009 was awful for the time, so it really stood out for most of us, but if it happened in the modern era, newer fans would be calling it one of the best years ever.

2 Likes

^^^this (at least the winter/spring)

Facts. I’m not even a big fan of 2009 but there are some absolute fucking gems and an HoF '09 release would blow the fucking doors off any HoF album that isn’t 2011. Were a lot of the shows overall snoozefests compared to the prior 3-4 years of UM? Yup. The highlights are so fucking good though.

I think my vote would go to 14/15.

2 Likes