The Worst Year of Umphrey's Is

Yea, I get that. I get more letdown by a short jam than I do by no jam, though, so having one piece of improv that truly leaves me in awe is probably going to hold more weight in the long run

3 Likes

Check out the August, ATN, and Synco, too. Especially the August.

2 Likes

I also wasn’t there lmao.

I’m pretty stoked whenever Search 4 drops and I’m in attendance so maybe I wouldn’t hate as much if I witnessed the first 1.5 hours of this show.

2 Likes

I listened to that All in Time on 160 mics working remote last year and it’s not my favorite AIT I’ve seen by any means. Size does not matter from my perspective.

3 Likes

Yea, it was my first time hearing it, so that was cool. I remember being a bit annoyed by the time we got to Layla, but was so pumped from everything else that it was easily forgiven.

12/29/11 has a similar vibe, but doesnt fall off nearly as bad as 02/14/09.

2 Likes

I’ve also been grumpy about this for awhile now.

1 Like

Des Moines '11 AIT in probably the GOAT, but this is easily number 2, IMO. I am sure there is at least some attendance bias in there, though.

5 Likes

As an improv whore, I’ll look past all sorts of TMSNEI bullshit for a JOTY contender. But part of the beauty and curse of UM is they can pack a major punch in an 8-10 minute jam, so the best jam of a show/run sometimes just leaves you wanting more.

2 Likes

You guys got me questioning myself now. Going to have to listen back to that AIT to make sure it is as good as I remember.

1 Like

7/1/11 was always king for me

2 Likes

7/2/11 is an example of that. IIRC the first jam comes in Steppin’ Razor, the fifth song of the set, and it was a JOTY contender.

2 Likes

There was a lot of that in 2011, but its easily one of my favorite years because when they jammed, they jammed. Love that Steppin’ Razor, too.

2 Likes

Well it’s been 28 minutes. We’re waiting.

One of my fav things about that jam is that it gets spacey and Kris wants to bring it back into the song. He does this quadruplet highhat thing to tell the rest of the band, and I distinctly remember bayliss being like “nah dog we’re gonna stretch this out”

4 Likes

What is TMSNEI

3 Likes

Just finished relistening to the jam and it 100% still holds up. I would lose my mind if I saw them do anything like that now.

4 Likes

I was rail for that show and it’s one of my favorite memories

3 Likes

Too Many Songs Not Enough Improv

7 Likes

Thank you :pray:

2 Likes

yw noob :wink:

4 Likes

Especially earlier in the year. One or two pieces of standout improv each night then by middle of the year, they really locked in and were just shitting out great shows.