The Psych / Garage / Lo-Fi Thread

Damn, super bummed I never got to catch them live

Hahaha they’re playing Chicago the day after my birthday. Almost birthday twins :dancing_men:

1 Like

Damn, that sucks. Saw them once at Hi-Dive and it was an incredible show.

Their latest album after that show was so good, I was dying to see that material live.

2 Likes

damn getting to that Boston show is a priority now

Discovered these guys on spotify today. This album is great. Looking forward to exploring more of their catalog:

Thanks for sharing, definitely gonna catch the Philly show.

1 Like

instrumental/melodic songs. First one is more of a jazz influenced tune and the second one is some stoner/cowboy guitar shit:

2 Likes

William Tyler is rad af

3 Likes

Oh fuck yeah!!

5 Likes

Snagged tickets for Madison. Pretty excited

2 Likes

Yessss! this is incredible news.

1 Like

I never knew this is how live music operated in Japan, pretty wild and definitely must be pretty hard to make a living as a musician. I hope that isn’t the reason for their hiatus because it seems they have a decent amount of fans outside of Japan:

Kikagaku Moyo did not find any great success in Japan, one reason for that being the expensive live shows, since Japanese music venues have a system of charging bands instead of paying them for live shows. According to Go Kurosawa in an interview, bands have to pay around 300$ for a 30-35 minute show.[9] Therefore, the band started busking on Tokyo streets, outside of busy train stations.[10] The group also made an attempt to set up psyche festivals around Tokyo, charging about five dollars for entry, with the aim of providing a cheap and accessible music scene. The band did however not gain any major progress either way. In an interview, Go says “[In Japan,] most people don’t like this kind of thing, they like following the rules”. Furthermore, the crowds were mostly made up of foreigners.[11] This inspired the group to go abroad: their first tour took place in Australia where they played the Levitation festival in 2014.

Also found this article that breaks down live music in Japan a bit further. Pretty interesting read.

1 Like

Awesome. Also saw the Steve Gunn CO shows announce

2 Likes

Damn thank you! Hadn’t seen that yet

2 Likes

@dtbar1 do you have a presale link for Kikagaku Moyo? The Ogden sent me the password in an email but all links go to the gen on sale AXS page.

Edit: nvm I’m dumb

1 Like

Got my tickets!

2 Likes

This is the venue they’re playing in AVL.

4 Likes

Shakespeare set incoming

4 Likes

lmao FUCK YEAH!!!

Some very cool smooth, flowing, mellow psych this morning. Had never heard of Skinshape before but really dig this album:

1 Like