The Newb Thread

If something is happening and you’re experiencing feelings of depression, and you’re wondering if you’ll ever see another show again, you’re experiencing Forks

5 Likes

This is kinda where I’m at. This analogy has me thinking of the part during the infamous 2007 Space Kitchen. The rumbling bass, at the end of the jam, that makes me think of a takeoff… That’s the shit.

OK. Will do.

3 Likes

See there you go. You’re not a newb at all you know the drill

3 Likes

Shut up, Tony. You dont even like drugs.

2 Likes

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

You’re right. I love them

2 Likes

1/27/11 Reso 2nd jam. Monster dual guitar peak that ends the set

2 Likes

If you were whackin’ it while listening to Umphrey’s, the peak is where you would ideally… peak.

3 Likes

Instructions unclear, accidentally came during Higgins.

It’s not :no_good_man::no_entry_sign: all unicorns :unicorn: and rainbows :rainbow: Humor :rofl::joy_cat::crazy_face: and darkness :waning_crescent_moon::night_with_stars: will always be present :gift: :santa:The we see :family_man_woman_girl_boy::eyes: after the satanic vocals :smiling_imp::japanese_goblin: IS the resolution :relieved::partying_face::confetti_ball:

8 Likes

This is honestly one of the best Uc5 posts in a while, the combo of “aka & & resolve” followed immediately by another “aka” is just 2015 tier posting

3 Likes

A few too many acronyms but it’s sound. Wanted a casual way to explain since not everyone understands music on a technical level. You play music, so you understand. It’s a correct, basic way to explain that style of playing

1 Like

Let’s hope this is a new year of transcendence

Is this about Umphreys or the whole industry?

Time to dust off this ol thread for a few stupid questions. Love the feedback as always.

1. What exactly is a bounceback jam? Is it when it starts and ends the same way, with a bunch of other shit sprinkled in between?

2. Is the term “chompers” used to describe somebody that’s aggressively chewing gum? I’ve seen this term a few times in various places but can’t ever figure out the context. I only know that nobody likes chompers.

3. Is there an Umphrey’s show that you consider a holy grail. One that you can’t find on Nugs or Archives.

Bounce back jam is when they kinda have two different sections, like an A section and B section, that they’ll hop back and forth from before going back into the song.

Chompers are people in the audience who talk during the song and yams and won’t shut the fuck up.

Like 98 percent of the shows end up on nugs or archive, but there used to be taper appreciation shows that that never saw the light of day besides a few choice single releases. Shank hall in Milwaukee in 04 (I think) would be a mn example of this

4 Likes

8-24-22 all in time has a bounceback jam

2 Likes

Now knowing what bounce back jam means, I can understand why it’s likeable with this band. They got some good ones out there.

Now, I see why everyone hates chompers. That kinda behavior seems like it’s common with Chads and Kyles.

I figure that there’s not much out there of UM that hasn’t been heard, but there’s got to be a legend of some amazing soundcheck or something lol.

Funny… @flyfishmich was live-borting this show and that’s when I first saw that term.

2 Likes

Ngl I thought a bounceback jam is when the whole band holds on the 1 and hits their notes on the 2, or the and, sometimes the 3.

1 Like