The Newb Thread

As somebody who’s not been to as many shows as some of Bort’s fine, upstanding citizens, I have questions. In fact, I might even have all the questions. Since I’ve joined, y’all have been pretty helpful and I thank you in advance. Too keep my blossoming fluffboy at bay, I will only ask a question a day, at most. Apologies to the mods if I broke any rule on creating this.

1. How do I figure out who does the setlist for the show?
3 Likes

Get his @ass @mods

3 Likes

Definitely a mistake!

10 Likes

No way to know for sure but they have characteristics.

Bayliss sets are the default. A mix of new songs, some “heavy hitters” (wappy, 2x2, AiT, etc), and as of late way too many songs per set.

Joel is a little more erratic and unpredictable. Think transitions you don’t see often. Probably a bust out or two as well. Everyone loves a Joel set list.

Stasik sets are usually heavier and probably have some songs with fun bass lines.

I’m sure there are other characteristics I’m missing.

6 Likes

Damn it. What’d I do?

Feel like erratic transitions are more Stasiky than Joel but just imo tbh tgif \m

5 Likes

Certainly present in both

1 Like

I believe Bayliss setlists rarely have any extras on the set. Probably because he throws too many songs in there to begin with

6 Likes

Agree. Stasik sets are always extremely jarring. Hardly any flow at all.

4 Likes

The easiest way to tell is that JO indicates that JOel chose that song

6 Likes

Yeah, a pretty easy way to tell if it’s a Stasik setlist is if it goes heavy > pretty > heavy > pretty. Sometimes works well, usually doesn’t.

Joel setlists tend to have more rarities, but generally flow better than Stasik sets

10 Likes

Also note that when you see someone here saying “That’s a BB/Joel/Stasik setlist” we are almost always inferring based on song section, we don’t know for sure.

Except that Stasik always writes sets for The Stone Pony iirc

7 Likes

And Pittsburgh shows I think

5 Likes

I know I read somewhere that Joel loves picking Believe The Lie, but has to ask Bayliss for permission because he really doesn’t like singing it anymore.

Speak (up) for yourself

2 Likes

Bayliss set right there

3 Likes

I thought it meant jazz odyssey.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, doesn’t the inclusion of multiple ‘song sandwiches’ in a show tend to be a Joel thing? I might be completely off on that, but I feel like that may be the scenario.

9 Likes

It does

1 Like

Dabs. Everything is literal right now lol.

1 Like