The Newb Thread

https://youtu.be/q_9ZcCw2u6c

2 Likes

Jake usually has a say in every setlist/helping to craft the transitions of everyone else’s setlists. Source: I read it somewhere once upon a time.

I think Myers will help with that too, but not as often.

2 Likes

Somewhere Ive heard Jake say he doesnt like similar tempos in a row and that helps dictates song order.

2 Likes

I’ve heard something very similar to this.

1 Like

I might be a complete fucking dork, but I would love to watch a video of them sitting down before a show and hashing out the setlist just to see what all goes into it. I would do this for many other bands too (Pearl Jam, Radiohead, MMJ, Wilco, Phish - I know they don’t work off a setlist but they must sit down and at least outline some ideas). It would be funny to see a clip of Joel suggesting All Things Ninja and Brendan crossing it out and writing in Bad Friday (no jam) > No Diablo.

5 Likes

I’d cross of an ATN too. Fuck that set eater.

Oh yeah I’m sure this happens more regularly than we think.

Joel: How do you guys feel about Red Tape with a huge jam, or maybe a bust out like Proverbial?

BB: Nah, I’m really feeling Whistle Kids this evening.

3 Likes

Filthy? We know you jazz odyssey’d to it…we all have

1 Like

I see what you did there. And it’s hard to ignore the triumphant bastard. Jar Jar that is.

3 Likes

A set eater? Someone here has never raged out to the 2018 Beacon version…

1 Like

1 minute and 15 seconds of fully embracing the event

2 Likes

Idk if this is really a newb question as much as a public opinion question. Being that all of my UM, and jamband life for that matter, is based on listening to tracks on Nugzs and Spotify, I consider myself lucky that I didn’t see the band go through the rough spots.

Having said that, where did it start to go wrong and what would it take for you to get enthusiastic about the band again?

1 Like

idk that anything really “went wrong” per se. The band just goes through perceived ups and downs in their creativity (improv, setlist writing, etc…) Everybody’s got different preferences, so one person’s off year could be somebody else’s favorite, but I think the bort in general values more consistent improv, both in terms of quality and quantity. The pandemic years have been pretty slow on that front, but seems like we’re all guardedly expectant after the last few runs of shows.

A lot of us consider 2019 to be the best year for the band since 2011, so it’s not necessarily that there’s been a prolonged downward trend.

5 Likes

don’t take this too seriously…

'98 - '02:: They had Mirro, they were opening for the Biscuits, things were peaking.

'03:: Transitioning to the Myers on the kit. very fun setlists, improv is lacking Lambda Chi Alpha show

'04 - '06:: Improv starting to come together, some GOAT shows are played. they are loose and focused.

'07 - '08:: Improv is really finding it’s stride, '08 delivers the UNTZ, more GOAT shows

'09:: Mantis is released. they play those songs live until the wheels fall off

'10:: Not sure what to say here

'11:: They start playing shows with the formula of 1 monster jam that normally delivers. Mantis songs are finding their legs

'12:: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

'13:: Duds of a show starting to become more common, fall tour was hot though

'14 - '16:: lots of B+ and A- shows but those A+ shows becoming much more scarce.

'17 - '18:: probably should’ve just extended '14 through '18

'19:: Improv was hot, setlists were unique by UM standards, longer jams appearing more often

'20:: Myers dies from COVID-19, he’s replaced by Isaac Teel’s sex robot.

'22:: SchladopianFir joins the-Bort, reignites UM and they peak again

27 Likes

Not that there’s anything wrong with that

11 Likes

Aww… I think I’m gonna stick around longer.

I honestly wonder if they look at any kind of listener stats, and wonder who would listen to them for 23 hours straight during an adderall binge.

1 Like

um. @OSUmBeaverPhreak, thoughts?

13 Likes

I may have seen some of his extremely well worded stories throughout the-bort. Very riveting and relatable.

1 Like

You are talking to the only people who pay attention to your heady stats

2 Likes

Not only do I have a horrible taste in music, I also don’t know shit about shit. When I’m looking at a setlist, I don’t know the difference between > and the little arrow thing pointing to the right(have no idea how to find that on my phone).