The Newb Thread

Yup. And there’s no pause, like someone flipped a switch and the song abruptly changed.

Versus the last 2 minutes of Haunt have some riffs that sound loosely similar to opening of Moccasin.

2 Likes

Now I’m wanting to see if UM has ever gone Bisco and went → through a whole set.

That was a great night on the river. Show has some relaxing and patient improv. Wish they played Ghetts like this still. I remember our analog Mapquest directions didnt quite lead us to the venue and we asked a cop for directions (:nauseated_face:!)

1 Like

Front Porch set

4 Likes

Thought I’d dust off this thread for another dose of education. Earlier, I shamefully admitted to not being able to pick out a peak in a song. If anyone can give me a good example, I’m sure it’ll click for me.

Doo dooo doo dooo doo dooo in bridgeless

5 Likes

Fuckin nailed it

8 Likes

Ooooooh. That part.

6-19-21 Bridgeless. Listen to the whole thing rather than forward to a time stamp so it builds organically. But for reference, around 15:30 when you hear the guitar come in and take the lead sounding super epic and you get goosebumps on your arm, you’ve found it.

1 Like

7/3/19 linear has an ever building peak. you think they’re there and then they keep going :hot_face:. as @asp029 mentioned, you’ll know when it happens

lol

This is kind of an amazing confession to me, the peaks are what probably hooked a lot of people here on UM in the first place.

1 Like

Idk man… being hearing impaired, I’ve never been able to trust myself to do anything more than “oh, i like this rhythm and beat”. Couldn’t tell you what notes or chords are what. I can only really tell the difference between BB and Jaco when there’s some serious chugging.

1 Like

I think it’s one of those “you know it when you see it” sort of things.

05/27/11 SCamp Red Tap is a great jam that doesn’t have a peak
03/14/13 Seattle Linear is a great jam that kinda sorta has a peak but I’d say doesn’t really
12/30/10 JaJunk has a clear peak that the band flubs trying to leave

1 Like

Just listen to your heart. When it reaches max heart rate, that’s the peak.

5 Likes

2/18/11 Robot World

the song peaks at the absolute end of the track. it’s all about that tension and energy that you can feel.

2 Likes

Since we’re at it, what’s UM’s greatest peakless jam?

I haven’t listened in a while but I think both jams of the '07 Truckee Plunger are peakless. I think both jams of 12-29-2011 Reso are peakless as well.

Summary

I’m having a mild existential crisis realizing I have so many of these jams cataloged in my head ready to go for this

Now, I’m thinking there’s a peak at around 19 minutes, before it goes back to the actual song.

I’m definitely feeling this. Tension is a good word to use.

Tension in music = Dissonance. This is often paired with releasing the tension aka &&resolve, aka a “sigh” in the music if you will

The full term is “dissonance and resolve” since you build & build the tension, makes it dramatic then you let off the steam by “resolving” the tone with something more soothing, a resolution to the tension built earlier

7 Likes

Say the thing

10 Likes