The Newb Thread

Not only do I have a horrible taste in music, I also don’t know shit about shit. When I’m looking at a setlist, I don’t know the difference between > and the little arrow thing pointing to the right(have no idea how to find that on my phone).

I don’t know shit about *fuck

8 Likes

On ATU, “>” is a segue where they just drop into the next song. “->” is where they tease or more smoothly segue into the next song. The Bort’s platform causes the latter to look like → though.

1 Like

A standardtown Glory → Haji is a common example of this?

Is that standardtown? Anyhow… glory is alway >

Here goes.

@Zencer

This is the closest they get to an → Glory that comes to mind

https://allthings.umphreys.com/setlists/umphreys-mcgee-september-2-2017-the-pageant-st-louis-mo-usa.html

Set 1:
Le Blitz > Plunger > North Route, Anchor Drops, Uncommon > 2x2, The Linear[1] > Glory

Set 2:
Domino Theory, Phil’s Farm > Robot World[2] > Can’t You Hear Me Knocking, JaJunk, August

Encore:
Bad Friday

Footnotes:
[1] with Glory teases
[2] with Jake on keys

This 2x2 is the business by the by.

2 Likes

He said Glory-> which doesn’t happen based on song structure and not ever having improv

Fair enough, misread that.

*rare to have improv. The Waka Glory from … '13 has improv.

Confession: I’m probably the least musically wise/literate person here. I couldn’t tell you what a song structure is. I have zero musical education. A lot of that has to do with being hard of hearing, and unable to pick up specific notes, chords, and beats like a “normal” person. I wish there were an easy way to explain/show examples of structures and other nuances of UM and other DBs.

I think you know more than you’re giving yourself credit for is my guess. You know what a verse, chorus and bridge are, right? That’s song structure. So as → is concerned it ALWAYS comes from a jam. Song 1 goes into a jam and the band melds the improv slowly into the key/rhythm of the next song. Like melting two songs together. > is a split second pause in between two songs.

So… Glory doesn’t really have improv (ok, one time 10 years ago) and it winds itself down slowly and ends on the last note. That ending is part of the songs “structure”. Bc of the way they end Glory it can’t be melded into the next song so it will always be >

2 Likes

This isnt an answer but this show has great examples of both types of transitions for discovery

2 Likes

Thanks, was hoping someone would post an example. I was also at that show haha. I miss Simon Estes. I’ll go ahead and say, it’s my all time favorite outdoor venue. I’ve had too much fun there over the years

2 Likes

Thanks for that. 1) I don’t know the exact definition of bridge lol. 2) You explaining the → and > was perfect in simplifying it. Last night’s Bridgeless → into Half Delayed, right?

1 Like

DBK into Fuzz gets the > because it segues after a part of DBK’s actual composition?

1 Like

I haven’t listened but on the physical setlist it says G Maj in between the two songs. That would lead me to believe that was a note for them to work into the key that HD is in for a → transition

2 Likes

Exactly. DBK is a great song for >s bc it has very defined sections that already have a pause built in

2 Likes

Yup. And there’s no pause, like someone flipped a switch and the song abruptly changed.

Versus the last 2 minutes of Haunt have some riffs that sound loosely similar to opening of Moccasin.

2 Likes

Now I’m wanting to see if UM has ever gone Bisco and went → through a whole set.

That was a great night on the river. Show has some relaxing and patient improv. Wish they played Ghetts like this still. I remember our analog Mapquest directions didnt quite lead us to the venue and we asked a cop for directions (:nauseated_face:!)

1 Like