Summer Tour 2023

Did Joel just accidentally confirm MW dates in July/August?

3 Likes

Any additional insights on July 2nd? Could it be a makeup date for Richmond? Iā€™m just wondering whatā€™s the delay with announcing it. They need to get ahead of other bands for ticket sales not vice versa. People have spent their money on Phish already so summer budgets are getting tight.

Dillon>Red Rocks x 2
4848 Festival
Asheville x 3

is what I am leaving room for.

2 Likes

They are annoying with their late announcements. I think they should just announce the rest of summer tour next week. For Christ sakes that honk honk bird band just announced fall tour dates.

4 Likes

Summer Camp kinda screws them over a bit. They have to wait to announce shows in places like Peoria, STL, and Chicago. Then they just add a few extra shows onto that announcement.

They could just avoid the MW in the summer outside of SC. Then they wouldnt have to worry about holding dates.

2 Likes

Itā€™s getting extremely frustrating. Itā€™s about time for them to announce if Holidaze is coming back or what too. Who the fuck manages this band these days? KB is knee deep in web3 technology when he needs to focus on heads up marketing and get with the program. Ticket sales are down and other bands are announcing dates further out than the band you manage. What is your strategy going forward? Personally, I liked the JRAD move the other year when they announced every date for the year at once iirc. I know Joel mentioned them finalizing plans still but when does the ink traditionally hit paper for these shows? Nine months out? 12 months out? More? Cause we are less than that from the end of the year now too. Itā€™s probably some industry bullshit I am unaware of creating the red tape for releasing more dates. Like radius clauses mentioned above. Still, they definitely to rethink how they drop dates going forward. Winter Tour was announced a whole month earlier than normal last fall so that was encouraging at least.

1 Like

They have always been such a big festival band, too, which adds another element outside of even just Summer Camp. I would say in general about half of their summer dates are typically made up of festival performances. I am sure there are more hoops to jump through when you have that many festival dates to announce vs bands who dont play as many. Especially with one of them being your own headling type of event in the heart of your home region.

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™d honestly be surprised about Chicago again this summer, they played a ton of shows there late last year. But thatā€™s besides the point and I get that, Jay Goldberg can lick my rusty old peaches.

1 Like

Usually they announce it I thought early May? At least thatā€™s when I remember booking rooms.

4 Likes

I wonder what the band wants at this stage in their career? They are in their mid to late 40s now. There are more than several mouths to feed at this point. Divorces canā€™t be cheap. The profit margins on touring are most likely dwindling. How many shows do they need to play a year to maintain the status quo and do they even want that or do they want to fade into obscurity like moe. did? Youā€™d think theyā€™d take a look around themselves at their peers and realize the gravy train doesnā€™t last forever, the fanbase size will ebb and flow, and there are ways to mitigate the risks that affected their predecessors. They avoided hard drugs so maybe they paid attention to Phish but what could they learn from SCI, Panic, moe. the Biscuits, and STS9? Hell, what could they learn from Goose? It just seems like from an outsiderā€™s perspective looking inward at this band, their management has made some questionable decisions since the pandemic interrupted the usual flow. But Iā€™m not the band so I donā€™t know what they want. It would be a great time for a good Joel interview with the hard hitting questions to see what he has to say. Maybe we can crowdsource funds and buy several Cameos from him asking him to reveal some more insights on the bandā€™s moves as of late. Weā€™ll scratch ($$$) your back Joel, now you scratch our never ending curiosity towards how the machine actually works!

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking back on old emails having searched Holidaze and a few of the Mayans were announced in March. The last Caribbean Holidaze in 2009 was announced in February. Iā€™m just getting antsy wanting to have it booked and planned again. I need to get my passport replaced so having this on the horizon would give me some motivation since human beings tend to allow work to fill the space allowed. I need a hard deadline!

1 Like

The last Holidaze announcement was in May.

1 Like

I think having kids/summer vacation would play a part in this. Being a selfish fan, I personally would love if they took this 25th year extra seriously and toured 4 days a week for 4 straight months but I know that isnā€™t that gonna happen. I do wonder if they are waiting to announce anything for late August, due to a potential return to Chicago area for Sacred Rose.

1 Like

Joel pretty much confirmed Midwest dates in august

2 Likes

Chicago gotta be the front runner for NYE this year with these heavy Mish rumors in Sept. Otherwise I woulda thought Denver.

Milwaukee NYE would be the dream run

6 Likes

I hope so. I always wondered if they would try Miami again since they had to cancel NYE '21

1 Like

Seems like they dodged a bullet with those shows

2 Likes

Didnā€™t Joel write a book on how to make a living as a moderately successful musician? The secret has to be in there somewhere!

3 Likes

I am not entirely sure if this would fly or not, but it would probably be beneficial for them to try to utilize some sort of ā€œSave the Dateā€ type of model.

Annouce the dates you can when you can, but then have the other actual dates all listed with question marks by the dates and at the very least mention the regions.

MIDWEST:
08/24 - ???
08/25 - ???

KB could even tie in some stupid ass NFT bullshit for people who want to see the dates a couple days prior to them being leaked to the general public.

Hell, even toss in some dumb save the date wedding references and jokes about pants being off with your shitty openers and guests so KB can send screen shots of raptors laughing it up to his crypto buddies and Ryan Dempster.

It was one thing when they were just dealing with Phish and then other bands their size. Now you have Goose, Billy Strings, final Dead and Co tour, etc.

Gotta try something

comb.io - That's Lobstertainment!

2 Likes

actually really surprised thatā€™s not the case

2 Likes

Yea, same. I think the bort pretty much has KBā€™s thought process down at this point.

I am cool with whatever, though. I dont really care what they are doing as I wont be able to see much anyways. Just glad they are playing well. I am sure that losing momentum has had some sobering and humbling effects on the band, and helped re-ignite their spark a bit.

3 Likes