Steven Wilson

I don’t see it that way at all. SW is a pretty humble dude. You ever read or seen his interviews? He says how little he knows about music and how he’s the worst member of his band and he gets too much credit all the time.

He changed once he got married. The dude writes a song attacking buying deluxe versions of shit but cancels the album until January so he can properly sell the deluxe version of his album. Just give me a digital version. I think it is so dumb for bands to not at the very least digitally release shit right now since there is a captive audience.

I’m being a little dramatic but his pretentiousness rubs me the wrong way. Have you seen him live, Alex?

On the TTB tour he would make fun of his fans in the crowd in Opeth shirts and make everyone stand up and awkwardly dance to the abortion of a song that is Permanating after giving a long winded awkward speech about how there’s more to life than prog rock.

Waiting another year to drop this album that no one really wants so he can properly push the deluxe edition is just peak Steven Wilson snobbery.

A bunch. And I find his stage presence funny. It’s about as British humor as British humor gets.

The TTB tour stop was an all standing show so there was none of the forced dancing.

You’re lucky then. I saw him in a small sit down theater and it was just brutally cringy.

I’ve been a huge fan of Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson since high school. I’m not a prog snob… I enjoy his poppier side. Stupid Dream is one of my all time favorite albums of his and it’s very poppy. I just really get disparaged when he makes comments about his music being more than prog rock when 90% of his live audience discovered him through prog rock. The elaborate tour and stage production that he has been hyping for the future bites tour sounds very cringy and out of touch.

And of course I know he’s an artist and can do whatever the hell he wants. I just don’t see this elaborate arena production being a success and I can’t say I’m too excited for this album. I really hate Personal Shopper.

Yeah the standing and dancing thing sounds awful. Especially during the worst SW song of all time.

TTB tour had a pretty big production too with the 3D screen and all that. And the Raven tour was all set up in quadrophonic sound (fucking awesome).

Ive never been able to see Steven live, but im always all for big stage and audio productions. Like Alex mentioning the quadrophonic sound. That sounds incredible and I’d buy a ticket to anyone’s show doing that kind of stuff; even if I didn’t know a single note of their music

I don’t see the problem with that, it’s a good lesson for you dorks to learn

1 Like

Prog rock is life

3 Likes

Absolutely! Petrucci always rips and shows you the way. Even my 35 y/o self loves air drumming to Portnoy.

One of the best sad SW movements right here.

1 Like

Omg!!

You motherfucker!

1 Like

Before I clicked it I was like “why would the Raleigh Register be covering this?“

1 Like

God fuck you so hard. i leaned up in my seat and everything lol

4 Likes

Such an @ass

2 Likes

Why did I not read the replies before clicking that link? I hate you

1 Like

Anesthetize>In Absentia>Deadwing>Lightbulb Sun>The Incident>everything else

*not ranking EPs, probably forgetting something

You mean Fear of a Blank Planet?

FOABP or Deadwing is my fave for PT material.

Same. I go back and forth on which is best.

Oops yea FOABP is what I meant, no clue what i was thinking. That is def my favorite album, and I would say their heaviest. Some just brutal riffs on there but also some gorgeous moments. In Absentia and Deadwing could easily be switched, Deadwing has so many killer tracks. Actually when I looked at the tracklist to remind myself just now I’m flip flopping hardcore. There’s nary a looker in the bunch.

Incident was a good concept but… too much of it blurs together, maybe inherently because of what it is. And out of the 4 (?) tracks on the “B side” I only like 2 of them.