Steely Dan

It’s very good. The Nirvana one is unbelievable as well.

GTFO

1 Like

I’ve only watched a handful of them, but they’re all pretty great. Think I’ve seen the 2112/moving Pictures, Who’s Next, Aja, and Songs In the Key of Life ones.

Idk if/where they’re available online these days but would highly recommend seeking them out

1 Like

Holy shit these are all top tier albums to me. Especially need to check out those Rush ones!

Lots are on YouTube. I’m gonna post some links in the band threads. Here’s Aja:

https://youtu.be/8sdMV9TzMkc

Never heard of these. Definitely gonna seek them out. Thanks.

Heard the Second Arrangement lost tapes for the 1st time today, a friend said this was recent in it’s finding but this is from 9 months ago so… I guess not. EDIT: I guess the actual un-wrecked version was found by the engineer’s daughter recently. No proof though yet. Anyways, main riff is bangin!

Have always liked their first three albums the best. The smooth yacht rock sound was influential as hell but not really my cup of tea. The opening 1-2 punch of Do It Again > Dirty Rock on Side A and Reelin’ > Fire in the Hole on Side B of Can’t Buy a Thrill is really tough to beat.

1 Like

idkk I feel like it’s hard to say that it’s hard to beat steely dan compared to other steely dan. like, all of aja is perfection, gaucho & royal scam is so good

I’m with you man. Fire in the Hole might be my favorite Steely Dan tune:

Yeah I really love that album. Might be my most listened to after Aja and The Royal Scam.

Big fan of Brooklyn as well. I feel like EB doing the double quote thing and I don’t like it.

1 Like

Fav. song is usually Kid Charlemagne

2 Likes

haters will say this is a royal scam

Don’t Take Me Alive is my favorite SD song right now.

Also I’ve been teaching one of my students a lot of Steely Dan guitar solos lately and I love how they’re all really unique sounding but mostly very simple to actually play

Walter becker looking like a mii in that thumbnail

3 Likes

Lmaooo

Kid Charlemagne might be my all time fave solo to play.

I used to practice drums to The Royal Scam album constantly one winter. Would sit down at my brother’s kit, hit play and chop to the whole album. I don’t consider myself a drummer, but I’ll be damned if that didn’t REALLY help my feel and groove to play to that over and over.

1 Like

This cover of Time Out of Mind popped up on a playlist and I want to “wife” the woman who covered it. Tbh all things considered it is just alright; fun and groovy but doesn’t really touch the original. Jeff Wootton from Gorillaz lays down the solo.

5 Likes