Setlist of the show before your first show

A couple of months ago I went back and looked at the setlist of the show that happened the night before my first show, just to see how different my UM journey would have been if that was my first show. For instance they opened with Spires that show, which is one of my favorite studio songs and was my longest ISO. It took my 48 shows to get my first Spires. Random but pretty cool to do.

1 Like

saw them the next night in cleveland

01.25.2002 The Mad Frog, Cincinnati, OH, USA

Set 1: Intro > The Triple Wide, All In Time, Walking On The Moon > Andy’s Last Beer, Nothing Too Fancy > Out Of Order > Nothing Too Fancy, Push the Pig, Waiting Room

Set 2: Prowler > Hajimemashite > Ringo[1], Señor Mouse[2], Pay the Snucka, The Haunt > Drums[2], Dirty Love[3], Jam[4], Get In The Van, Gesture Under a Mitten, Utopian Fir > Xxplosive > Dump City

Encore: I Want You Back[5]

Soundcheck: Señor Mouse, The Triple Wide, Xxplosive

[1] with Michael “Mad Dog” Mavridoglou on trumpet
[2] with Eli Hludzik on drums
[3] with Nick Blasky on vocals
[4] “Improv in A Minor”; with Nick Blasky on bass and Ryan on lights
[5] with Kielbasa (Tenacious D) quote

Notes:
G-Song was teased before Get In The Van
(Don’t Fear) The Reaper (Blue Öyster Cult) was teased before Gesture Under a Mitten

08.29.2002 20th Century Theatre - Cincinnati, OH

Set 1: Roulette > Soul Food I > Utopian Fir > Rastaman Chant -> Last Man Swerving, 13 Days[1] > All Things Ninja, Prowler, White Man’s Moccasins

Set 2: Dr. Feelgood[2] -> August[3] > The Crooked One > FF[4] -> Space Funk Booty, Uncommon, Family Feud theme > Kabump[5] > In a Silent Way[6] > It’s About That Time[7]

Encore: Push the Pig

Notes:
[1] debut, original; “Dolls Coke Elvis”
[2] with Syncopated Strangers tease
[3] ended with One (Metallica) jam
[4] with Main Theme (Godfather Waltz) (Nino Rota) tease
[5] ended with Brad Myers and Nick Blasky taking the place of Brendan and Ryan for part of the song; with Tangerine (Led Zeppelin) tease
[6] with Brad Myers and Nick Blasky taking the place of Brendan and Ryan
[7] with Brad Myers and Nick Blasky taking the place of Brendan and Ryan for part of the song

went to the next night in Milwaukee and the rest is history.

02.09.2006 FIRST AVENUE, MINNEAPOLIS, MN, USA

Set 1: Smell the Mitten > Partyin’ Peeps, Bridgeless, Soul Food I > Anchor Drops > Glory > JaJunk[1]

Set 2: 2x2 > Kabump > Hajimemashite > Higgins, Got Your Milk (Right Here), Robot World[2] > Out Of Order > The Fussy Dutchman

Encore: Bright Lights, Big City

[1] with When the Levee Breaks (Led Zeppelin) tease
[2] began with Rumble (Link Wray & His Ray Men) tease

Found out about the band around the time Anchor Drops came out freshman year of high school. Just never GITV until almost a decade later…

08.22.2013 CHESTERFIELD AMPHITHEATER, CHESTERFIELD, MO, USA

One Set: 2nd Self, Wappy Sprayberry > Higgins, Search 4 > Blue Echo > Slacker, Room to Breathe, Much Obliged[1] > Can’t You See, Partyin’ Peeps

[1] with The Fuzz tease

Notes:
played after STS9
with YYZ (Rush) tease before Room to Breathe

07.01.2007 POMPANO BEACH AMPHITHEATRE, POMPANO BEACH, FL, USA

One Set: Dump City, Bridgeless -> Out Of Order, Tribute to the Spinal Shaft > Bridgeless, Utopian Fir > Masoko Tanga > Drums > Much Obliged > Ringo > Glory > Ringo, JaJunk

Encore: Mulche’s Odyssey[1]

[1] Umphrey’s came out after The Disco Biscuits closing set to play Mulche’s Odyssey; there was a full band segue with The Disco Biscuits into their song Morph Dusseldorf

Notes:
D.U.M.B. tour; The Disco Biscuits followed Umphrey’s McGee

03.21.2012 HISTORIC ASHLAND ARMORY, ASHLAND, OR, USA

Set 1: Catshot > Mantis, Space Funk Booty, Slacker, Anchor Drops, Go to Hell, Great American > Susanah > Great American, Turn & Run > Mantis

Set 2: Der Bluten Kat > In the Flesh? > Another Brick in the Wall > Der Bluten Kat, FF > Wappy Sprayberry > Plunger > Syncopated Strangers > Plunger, The Fussy Dutchman

Encore: Come Closer

Purchase via UMLive : 03.21.2012, Historic Ashland Armory, Ashland, OR

02.28.2002 THE VISULITE THEATER, CHARLOTTE, NC, USA

Set 1: Example 1[1] > Ringo, Miss Gradenko -> August -> Padgett’s Profile, Hajimemashite -> Push the Pig, Flying > All In Time

Set 2: Q*Bert, Hurt Bird Bath, Rastaman Chant[2] > Uncle Wally[3], Mullet (Over)[3], Sociable Jimmy, Kabump > The Triple Wide, Utopian Fir > Der Bluten Kat[4]

Encore: Gesture Under a Mitten

[1] with Iron Man (Black Sabbath) tease
[2] ended with Brendan and Jake on acoustics
[3] Brendan and Jake on acoustics
[4] with Crazy Train (Ozzy Osbourne) teases

Saw them the next night in Philly, they opened the second set with Home Again and the Biscuits played ITK in Chicago. Heady.

15 years later and still haven’t caught a Visions. Missed it by 1 show.

11.26.2003 The Rave Underground - Milwaukee, WI

Set 1: Hurt Bird Bath > Soul Food I > Water, Much Obliged > Smell the Mitten, A Fifth of Beethoven, Mail Package

Set 2: Front Porch > Resolution > Front Porch[1], In Violation of Yes[2], Billie Jean, Example 1[3] > Padgett’s Profile[4], Ocean Billy, Dump City

Encore: Nopener, Prowler

Notes:
[1] with Gratitude (The Beastie Boys) jam
[2] with Thunderstruck (AC/DC) jam
[3] ended with Is There Anybody Out There? (Pink Floyd) jam
[4] with South Park theme (Primus) tease and with Jake on timbales
with No Quarter (Led Zeppelin) tease before In Violation of Yes
with Four Sticks (Led Zeppelin) jam after Billie Jean
with You Really Got Me (Van Halen) tease before Nopener

05.26.2000 SHANK HALL, MILWAUKEE, WI, USA

Set 1: Front Porch > Bob’s Cloud > Front Porch, All In Time, Walk the Proud Land, The Fussy Dutchman, The Other Side of Things > Drums, Prowler > 2nd Self, All Night Long

Set 2: Andy’s Last Beer[1], Chevrolet, All Things Ninja, August > Slacker, Make Me[2] > Hangover, Tonight I’m Gonna Rock You Tonight

Encore: Nachos for Two

[1] debut (first time played in full), original
[2] debut, John Scofield

My first show was the Big Wu family reunion the next day, which was the second time the band played Andy’s Last Beer

3 Likes

04.07.2009 LUPO’S HEARTBREAK HOTEL, PROVIDENCE, RI, USA

Set 1: The Fussy Dutchman[1], Higgins, Got Your Milk (Right Here) > Walletsworth, Blue Echo > Search 4, 1348

Set 2: Hurt Bird Bath, Example 1, Red Tape, Wappy Sprayberry > Smell the Mitten[2], Bloody Well Right, Syncopated Strangers

Encore: Bridgeless

[1] with Linus and Lucy (Vince Guaraldi) tease
[2] with Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (Jimi Hendrix) tease

Probably wouldn’t have made this show but the night before that was only an hour away (4/5/09) and I strongly considered going. It ended up being a full acoustic show and who knows if I would’ve been hooked.

4/5/09 is fire though

07.10.2004 “ALL GOOD MUSIC FESTIVAL” MARVIN’S MOUNTAINTOP, MASONTOWN, WV, USA

One Set: Roulette, Nemo, JaJunk[1], Waiting Room, Utopian Fir > Thin Air, Miss Tinkle’s Overture > Bridgeless

[1] ended with Sweet Child O’ Mine (Guns N’ Roses) tease

Notes:
Other performers included Jazz Mandolin Project, Soulive, Burning Spear, and Medeski Martin & Wood.

03.06.2007 THE FOX THEATRE, BOULDER, CO, USA

Set 1: The Bottom Half > Space Funk Booty > The Bottom Half, #5, Der Bluten Kat > Prowler > Passing, Morning Song > Der Bluten Kat

Set 2: Bridgeless > Plunger > Glory > Plunger > Bridgeless, Alex’s House[1] > The Triple Wide > Walletsworth > 40’s Theme

Encore: Partyin’ Peeps, Mama I’m Coming Home

[1] debut, original

Notes:
with (Don’t Fear) the Reaper (Blue Öyster Cult) tease before Alex’s House
last Mama I’m Coming Home 10.30.2004 (310 shows)

06.08.2004 The Vogue Theatre, Indianapolis, IN, USA

Set 1: Uncommon[1] > Divisions[1], That’s the Way[1], Syncopated Strangers[2], Water[1] > Black Water[1], Nemo[1], Bad Poker[1], Uncle Wally[1] > Night Moves[3]

Set 2: Roulette, 13 Days, Groove Holmes > The Crooked One > #5 > JaJunk, 2nd Self, Waiting Room[4]

Encore: Much Obliged[5]

[1] Jake and Brendan on acoustic guitars
[2] with Hysteria (Def Leppard) ending; Jake and Brendan on acoustic guitars
[3] debut, Bob Seger; Jake and Brendan on acoustic guitars
[4] with Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desire (J.S. Bach) tease
[5] with Third Stone from the Sun (Jimi Hendrix) and Are You Gonna Go My Way (Lenny Kravitz) teases

Notes:
Pre Bonnaroo warm up show
with Love Bites (Def Leppard) quote from Brendan and (Don’t Fear) the Reaper (Blue Öyster Cult) tease after Syncopated Strangers

03.04.2008 THE BLUEBIRD NIGHTCLUB, BLOOMINGTON, IN, USA

Set 1: 2x2, Dump City, Much Obliged[1], Cinnamon Girl[2], Get In The Van

Set 2: Pay the Snucka, G-Song[3], Hangover[4], Bad Poker[5] > Wizard Burial Ground, Gulf Stream > Plunger, Morning Song > Pay the Snucka

Encore: Divisions

[1] with Kula jam
[2] with Dave Kubiak on vocals
[3] with Kevin Browning on guitar, Adam Budney on bass, Vince Iwinski on cowbell and vocals, Don Richards on keyboards, Bob Ston on drums, Wade Wilby on percussion, and Robbie Williams on guitar playing instead of Umphrey
[4] with Part-Time Lover (Stevie Wonder) jam
[5] with Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd) jam

Notes:
Jack Daniel’s private show

My first was 3/7 at Langerado.