Random, Spontaneous Thoughts about UM (Part Poo)

Yeah I don’t get that comparison at all…

4 Likes

it’s probably just that UM sucks now. welcome to being enlightened.

5 Likes

Doesn’t sound like ITB at all

3 Likes

ITB is one of their best studio cuts. I used to hate that song live

1 Like

Not great… not bad. Seems like they always release fairly meh tracks and then there is much better stuff once the album comes out

I will agree that IDKWIW sounds like a poor man’s ITB in the Aldi knock-off sense where the Aldi meal/song (IDKWIW) doesnt even come close to tasting/sounding like what the actual meal/song (ITB) is supposed to taste/sound like.

So, in that sense, I think @kev347 is right on the fuckin money with his review. It’s a poor man’s ITB that sounds nothing like IDKWIW no matter how much you try to Aldi-knock-it-off.

Spot on, kev. Sorry the rest of the board just didnt get it

2 Likes

Why do we have to bring Aldi into this conversation?

11 Likes

In the Black is really the more relatable song to this one? Out of all songs? Who woulda thought.

Your ears are broken, kid.

I dig it. Get a major WBG vibe

9 Likes

In a Kroger sense or Aldi sense though?

4 Likes

It’s like dollar tree wbg in the sense that it’s shorter and only like $1.25 now, even though it used to be $1 idk man

5 Likes

Alright, I’ll explain myself. While obviously ITB is sonically quite different from this, they’re similar in that they both have a more first section that transitions into a slow emo 2nd section that feels like it might just be the bridge but ends up being the whole rest of the song. I almost expected I Don’t Know What I Want to transition back into the intro riff at the end like ITB does.

I’ll see myself out now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Threw It All Away

Without having to think too much, how many songs does UM have that actually have a catchy chorus in which the song title is used in the chorus? WWS comes to mind, what others can you think of?

Prowler

5 Likes

Day nurse

3 Likes

Cut the Cable

This song is a rollercoaster of emotions that perfectly mirrors my feelings on the band in general at this point. It feels good to hear some totally new UM, and I immediately dig the Police vibe, but it gets completely jettisoned and I realize that man… Bayliss’ vocals are just not my cup of tea anymore. And I don’t even mind him on songs that aren’t so serious because I think he can pull those off, but on something more “serious” like this with this kind of lyrical content he just doesnt sound good. But then I’m up again because of that cool chorus and I do like when he hits that high part at the end of each line. But then the rest of the song is a mix of enjoying what’s happening musically at first but then realizing it sounds so much similar to a bunch of the songs already listed in this thread and just feels like theyre relying on crutches and they have been for a while now.

3 Likes

This doesn’t ring a bell if you aren’t referring to the Front Porch set of 2003?