No Covers No Repeats Run (February 2006)

Allegedly in February 2006 the band did a four night run through the Midwest with no covers and no repeats. Curious if they’ve done this any other times. I’ve probably caught shows with no covers but on four consecutive nights? Get out of here!

02.08.2006 IOWA MEMORIAL UNION BALLROOM, IOWA CITY, IA, USA

Set 1: Resolution[1] > 2nd Self, #5, In The Kitchen, All Things Ninja, Walletsworth

Set 2: Nemo[2], Atmosfarag > Ringo[3], Blue Echo > The Bottom Half, Mullet (Over)

Encore: The Crooked One[4]

[1] with 2nd Self teases
[2] “Jimmy Stewart” with lyrics and a Burning Down the House (Talking Heads) tease
[3] with Take Me to the River (Talking Heads) tease
[4] with Moby Dick (Led Zeppelin) tease

02.09.2006 FIRST AVENUE, MINNEAPOLIS, MN, USA

Set 1: Smell the Mitten > Partyin’ Peeps, Bridgeless, Soul Food I > Anchor Drops > Glory > JaJunk[1]

Set 2: 2x2 > Kabump > Hajimemashite > Higgins, Got Your Milk (Right Here), Robot World[2] > Out Of Order > The Fussy Dutchman

Encore: Bright Lights, Big City

[1] with When the Levee Breaks (Led Zeppelin) tease
[2] began with Rumble (Link Wray & His Ray Men) tease

02.10.2006 THE RAVE, MILWAUKEE, WI, USA

Set 1: August[1] > Roulette, Nothing Too Fancy > Sludge & Death > Great American[2] > Nothing Too Fancy

Set 2: Dump City > Wife Soup[3] > Much Obliged[4] > Dump City, Believe the Lie, FF > Hurt Bird Bath[5]

Encore: Thin Air

[1] “Jimmy Stewart” with lyrics
[2] began with The End (The Doors) quotes from Jake
[3] with Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ (Michael Jackson) tease
[4] with Tennessee Jed (Grateful Dead) teases
[5] with When the Levee Breaks (Led Zeppelin) teases

02.11.2006 THE ORPHEUM THEATRE, MADISON, WI, USA

Set 1: Sociable Jimmy, Get In The Van, Uncle Wally > Push the Pig[1] > Utopian Fir > Divisions > Utopian Fir > Slacker

Set 2: The Triple Wide > Syncopated Strangers, Der Bluten Kat[2], Hangover[3], Pay the Snucka[4]

Encore: All In Time

[1] with Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) teases; ended with Dear Prudence (The Beatles) jam
[2] with Brendan, Jake, and Ryan joining Joel on the keys; with The Safety Dance (Men Without Hats) tease and Gold Digger (Kanye West) jam and quotes
[3] with Milestones (Miles Davis) teases
[4] with Du Hast (Rammstein) quote

Discuss.

2 Likes

but every show has like 5 cover jams/teases

1 Like

True. But apparently the band was responding to criticism of being a “glorified cover band.”

1 Like

Oppositely, I thought the run of shows that debuted a new cover each night was pretty cool.

1 Like

But they are a glorified cover band.

2 Likes

February 08?

Yup

1 Like

I had a blast at 2.10 and 2.11…great shows!!

1 Like