Jamband Cringe Thread

I was at the 2019 run. Wasn’t that the hail show and UMs covering GVF with Bonham?

2 Likes

BRO THE HAIL!!! MADE MY PONCHO SWISS FUCKIN CHEESE (was cheap, bought a Columbia next day in golden lol)

1 Like

11/2/11 made your dream become my reality in my noob phase. Was taight

3 Likes

No. For me and probably most everyone here, a jam is when they depart from the structure of a song.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the music being played, but the amount of improv in a show is an objective thing.

1 Like

Also did that run (and the Jake and BB acoustic show the night before). The Fir the first night is really the only thing worth going back to imo. Overall not a great run, but I have plenty of personal anecdotes that made it a whole lot of fun.

Bron Yr Aur Stomp
Jake and BB was mine and the wifes first date
My first Front Porch

5 Likes

Arguably just a vamp…MAYBE could call it type 1 improv if you are being generous. Certainly not type 2 improv

Do you know the difference between a stew, type 1, type 2, a JO, etc?

Not everyone here is a jaded asshole who knows nothing. Just because i can tell the difference between chronic and brick weed, doesnt make me an asshole.

4 Likes

For the record hanging with these people and having them teach me about all of this stuff, I got progressively more negative towards the band :joy:

It did make me appreciate the great jams more tho

1 Like

Say what you will about this board being salty losers, but VFJ def aint churning out outstanding versions of songs/shows, repeated stew compilations, etc.

Like I get it, somebody ate molly and had an amazing time. But I also used to smoke brick weed and laugh until my side hurt. Over time I learned to truly appreciate the craft requires to grow amazing weed, and brick weed gives me a headache now

9 Likes

Also met @stringz at RR 2019. That was probably the real highlight

8 Likes

Understood and I’m not really trying to debate it all too much. More or less just understand. I’ll ask my buddy to explain more to me on the song structure deviation thing. Confuses me because I’ve heard like, a long ass bridgeless that goes pretty far away from how it usually sounds but I can still hear/feel the beat of the bridgeless (if that makes sense). Then check nugs/ums setlists and see it’s either 30 mins long or there was some subjam I never heard before. (I’m making a semi-fictional example to get my point across).

But I appreciate you at least prying at me to try to get the point that I can finally understand the point. (Text based comms can only do so much)

Blows my mind when @StoneJackBaller has been the one making the most salient points in here. Bravo

I think my last fleeting glimpse of fandom flew out the window after the BK 2019 run. I still kept chasing it for awhile but now I realize that was dumb. I didn’t appreciate 8/30/19 in the moment but that first set was the last top tier moment after listening back. Cut Off > Eat > Linear is a god tier segment.

The actual last true moment of joy was @cshore turning to me on 2/16/19 when the Mantis jam started and said “pre-composed” even though it wasn’t.

I don’t even listen to jam bands anymore. Zero interest. Even had to boycott the Squeak after I was chastised for blogging about a small flub. I’ve since Come Back (underplayed song&&tbh) but that’s the only band that means anything to me. Even Dopapod doesn’t do it for me since they don’t want to really jam anymore. Shit, I spent half a set in VA sharing cat pics with @solvethebox partner during a mediocre set.

10 Likes

I agree on the weed but UMs has always been just fine for me (tried some Werks and Papadosio and Dopapod etc etc back in the day cuz they were part of the new-to-me jam scene. Didn’t tickle me. Needed UMs. I’m trying again now after jay lane DnC 23, but this run has me back on the UMs train just not as elitist this time)

Lol fuck you

3 Likes

I dont view it as a negative experience now. Some of the best people in my life came from this community and this band. I almost never have a bad time at shows.

But I also am not going to pretend like brick weed is topshelf shit. Umphreys themselves releases a “Hall of Fame” compilation, which is voted in by the people.

Honestly, greg thinks hes doing the lords work keeping us positive…but we are doing the lords work trying to teach people to THINK

and I know another way to think if you open up your eyes

^ poignant

6 Likes

So we were all there then. And here we are now. And I’m happier. The fuck. (I’m not being serious here you fucks)

Maybe not even negative, just much more critical. I still love seeing them live

1 Like

Sounds like we’re all doing great work here bois

Red Rocks this past year slapped. Dillon was decent.

I think UM plays better on odd numbered years, with 04, 06, and 08 being obvious god tier years

2 Likes

Every Dopapod show since she longs for someone to share cat pics with

3 Likes

Man, 2021 Dopapod was on another level. Too bad Rob had to have a baby

2 Likes