Good Songs that have no Business Being Played Live

I disagree, WMM is one of the best OG songs and I absolutely love that song live

1 Like

Thatā€™s super Bayliss. He probably feels like the song is a complete unit and doesnā€™t want to touch it

2 Likes

The 10/30/2015 EG is fucking amazing, beautiful uplifting jam

Also donā€™t understand why they wonā€™t give Half Delayed the treatment, as others have said its begging to be opened up, maybe itā€™ll happen by accident one day ala #5 11/2/2011

2 Likes

I love the song Example 1 but Iā€™m never looking for it live. Seen it way too much

Iā€™ll never understand OB hate

1 Like

They already do give you Seasons every show

1 Like

Agreed. I am sick of Example 1. Itā€™s also a total mood killer IMO. Itā€™s just too medium and has no balls. It always just sits there in the set.

Similar Skin is another one that I think is well written but just utterly deflating live.

And the ultimate one: Booth. I find the intro section to be so beautiful but my god it always takes 12 minutes to get through and maybe 1 in every 20 versions of the song produces improv thatā€™s even a little bit interesting.

Booth sans intro would be 1000x better

Itā€™s a shame they never skipped the intro and went right into Booth from a hot jam. I always thought that would be well received if executed well.

2 Likes

You read my mind

The intro is the only part I like lol. Itā€™s the only part thatā€™s actually musically interesting to my ears. I find Booth Love style funk to be the most generic uninspiring variety of funk music.

1 Like

You also think 2019 > 2011 so clearly you are full of bad takes.

2020 best year yet. April specifically

Booth is a bigger time eater than DBK. Not a piss break song, itā€™s a shit break song. Guaranteed 15 min of absolutely nothing that never even segues into something else

4 Likes

You said it girl

1 Like

Great thread topic.

Iā€™m in the crowd that Half Delayed doesnā€™t do much for me. I personally enjoy an acoustic bit if itā€™s in the middle of a multi-night run where they can dig into some of those songs. I enjoyed Uncle Wally, Pequod at Ryman last spring. I think they did some acoustic Memories of Home/ YAYA at Beacon right as YAYA came out and I actually liked it.

If Iā€™m only seeing a one-off show, though, Iā€™m not looking for an acoustic setā€¦ so that would place a lot of songs in this category.

1 Like

Super over Booth, surprised at the Example 1 hate.

Still donā€™t understand the Educated Guess hate. I think itā€™s because it was so rough when it debuted, but it feels like they play this song really well now. I am a sucker for the heavier chorus riff with the harmonies and the Mahavishnu-esque ending.

2 Likes

Agreed 100%