General shit talking

He sounded really good on Saturday. I remember thinking that to myself multiple times throughout the night, especially during Running Into The Night

1 Like

I wish he didn’t make so many flubs. I heard at least a few both nights and for me it detracts from his playing.

1 Like

Throwing touchdown passes results incompletions sometimes. No dink and dunk!

6 Likes

I was ranting about his tone to @mja271 in new haven, he sounds great on this tour

2 Likes

Yea, that is definitely something that just kinda comes with the territory. I can see how it could bug some people.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not something I’d expect to change at this point. Like with their vocals you just gotta kind of accept it.

Yep. Honestly, its the same way with Phish. Trey is my favorite guitarist ever, but he fucks up royally at least twice a show it seems. The flubs from both bads kinda just roll off of me at this point. That is definitely something I will always give UM credit for, though. I may not always like the stick up the butt approach to tightness, but they don’t really flub.

1 Like

Trey just straight whiffs on compositions, and Barber totally can too, but in general his style of play is extremely loose where he might play “around the notes” if that makes sense? I don’t really recall tons of flubs tbh.

There was definitely one really awkward point between WLTP/Running(?) that I remember @hbbubblebath saying “this does not sound good” before the band found some cohesion again and I completely agreed. Fortunately it was brief.

5 Likes

Big moment for me. #milestone?

5 Likes

@hbbubblebath is officially a Biscuit fan after Saturday night

8 Likes

DJ deep dish > biscuits > Umphrey’s > phish

6 Likes

So close. You’ve almost got it!

3 Likes

Phish > DJ deep dish > biscuits >>>> UM ?

3 Likes

The types of things I tend to notice most are a product of bad technique. Like not fretting or picking a note quite right, which to me comes out sounding amateurish.

He’ll also often play “wrong” notes. Atonal notes can be used intentionally to great effect, but you can kind of tell when it’s being done purposefully vs accidentally.

1 Like

Throw some Spafford in before UM.

Phish > phish > DJ deep dish > phish > phish > biscuits > spafford > other bands

5 Likes

What was the highlight of the weekend for you? Also, was either show good enough to make you want to try to catch them again sometime soon, or did this fill your hunger for the next 10 years?

2 Likes

As someone who’s not a guitar player, yeah I definitely will not pick up on that stuff lol but makes total sense.

1 Like

I probably enjoyed N2S1 the most. Running and Shimmy were also highlights. But with the biscuits I always need to relisten to the recordings after to actually follow along and understand what they played, so I’m still waiting on the soundboards.

Me not seeing them for that long was really more due to them not touring. The shows I saw back in the day were all in Atlanta where I lived (or nearby Athens and Alpharetta). I wasn’t into them enough to travel far. Since moving to SC I think the closest they had played was a few hours drive. I was planning on doing Charlotte last year, but it got cancelled.

3 Likes

Yea I get all of that, for sure. Hoping they announce a Charlotte/Asheville run soon. Good hanging, man. We will have to do it again. Assuming my wookery did not scare you too much, of course.

4 Likes