Favorite 60's Shows

I’ve been digging back into some of the older years because it’s awesome, and wanted to hear some of your favorite 60’s shows/recordings. Give me that early exploratory, blues-psychedelia, intense energy shit. List so far:

12.1.66 - The Matrix - Viola Lee Blues is very good (arguably my favorite early Dead jam vehicle)
Relisten Link

10.22.67 - Winterland
Partial Show on Archive

2.14.68 - Carousel Ballroom - Dark Star > China Cat > Eleven
Archive Link

2.27.69 - Fillmore West - Other One, Dark Star
Archive Link

4.26.69 - Electric Theater - I think this was a Dick’s Picks?
Archive

6.14.69 - Monterey Performing Arts Center
Archive

1 Like

I HIGHLY recommend the Dark Star > Stephen > Eleven > Lovelight here.
Straight acid bathed heat. Easily my favorite Dead year, and this is them at their best. Jerry is just so fucking pure here and Billy/Mickey are just a fucking force pushing from Eleven to Lovelight. Absolute madness.

3 Likes

I know I’ve mentioned it on the old versions of the bort, but always been a huge fan of 6-14-69. I lost my SHN/FLACs when an old drive crashed & would love to get those again, if anyone ever stumbles across them & remebers this post…

June 14, 1969
Monterey PAC

Turn On Your Love Light-> Me & My Uncle-> Doin’ That Rag-> He Was A Friend Of Mine, Dire Wolf, Dark Star-> Saint Stephen-> The Eleven-> Turn On Your Love Light-> Drums-> Turn On Your Love Light

Also, whoever uploaded it to Live Music Archive messed up the track order & has it beginning with Dark Star, then the 26 minute Lovelight that starts the set comes right after the set ending half of Lovelight.

Not sure how nobody has corrected that over the years.

1 Like

On the list! Thanks!

Also, 3-1-69 was a favorite of mine back in the day.

1 Like

Somebody just uploaded the FLACs of this show on Orpheus!

Super pumped to have this show back. The tracks aren’t labeled with song names, but judging by the track sizes, I’ve gotta believe that the tracks are in the correct order.

Show holds a special place on my heart. Had the tapes of this one for many years, then lost the FLACs some years back, so it will be nice to have it back in my collection.

3 Likes

Did they play a show on 4/20/69 or nah?

2 Likes

I know you’re making a joke, but then I got curious and looked it up. Headiest show ever 42069 blaze it

1969-04-20 - Grateful Dead - Clark University, Atwood Hall

Morning Dew, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Doin’ That Rag, Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven > Death Don’t Have Mercy; Encores: Dupree’s Diamond Blues > Mountains Of The Moon

1 Like

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Here’s some great comments from the archive. Looks like it was billed for the 19th but their equipment didn’t arrive in time so they played the show on the 20th.

3 Likes

Oh man that’s a great story about this show. Thanks man! Love the anecdotes like this

1 Like

Yeah there’s some gems in the archive comments from old heads. Like Roland Kirk pulling a gun on the crowd. I would be terrified if a blind man whipped out a pistol and I was anywhere near.

1 Like

Love the fact they all just like ducked lmao

1 Like

His road manager probably saw all sorts of shit back in the day.

1 Like

This is starting my work day off right this morning

mt

Truly glorious dead her.

Grateful Dead channel on XM is dropping some 60s heat right now. 5/24/69. Solid show and the Lovelight is an Acid Test gem

2 Likes

Here’s the archive for it. Will be spinning it today

Archive link

2 Likes