Asking for a friend

Believe so. Might have been ‘produced’ by the engineer. Don’t really remember

I’m digging; Always October, Pure Saturation, Escape Goat, Work Sauce thus far. The singles were fun too. Overall I enjoyed this release, its on Par with the last 3 albums.

1 Like

Always October grew on me some, I just don’t like the placement. I think it would have worked better further into the album, I think it kind of ruins the flow and think Fenced In would have sounded better after Small Strides.

Pretty boring and lacking in dynamics. And for such a vocally focused album there were some tracks I could barely hear the lyrics (granted, I was listening in the car). I expect some of these songs are going to be like What We Could Get - played a few times and then completely dropped because they don’t fit.

2 Likes

Greg Magers IIRC

Right. Think he was the engineer too

Pure saturation and escape goat seem like good jam vehicles. I just wonder how many of these songs Bayliss can pull off vocally live. Small strides vocals haven’t sounded that great on the tapes I’ve heard so far

Hiccup is easily the most exciting song on this album. It’s the only song I want to go back and listen to. I know some others will grow on me though

1 Like

I haven’t revisited yet but really enjoyed my first listen. The vocal melodies are such a big part of the songwriting, it’s pretty jarring - the Bayliss vocal effect they’ve been using occasionally the last few albums is present on almost every song. I don’t mind it but don’t know how they can translate that live without using some effects. Some incredible soundscapes though, I didn’t expect to like the unreleased songs so much.

Surprised at the lack of It’s Not Your Fault mentions, loved that opening riff and thought the Hiccup>Escape Goat stretch was dynamic. I really hope they stick with (most of) these tracks and try to fill out their sound live, expecting most to sound pretty thin the first few times played.

I have beat this drum many times but I think to reach their studio album potential they need to hand over lead vocals to Kris. I am absolutely fascinated by what that would sound like.

4 Likes

I thought this would be your flavor. It sounds like all those warped tour hipster sadboi bands you love

4 Likes

Yeah, or just have somebody tell BB he needs to stop trying to rap or whatever that is. Just too wordy/samey especially when he’s harmonizing with himself

1 Like

2 Likes

I thought Mags first name was Chris

I get to see the best one of them all tomorrow!!! Motion City Soundtrack baby!!!

2 Likes

So has anyone got the stems yet? I feel like the Dash Bort could easily make some fucking hilarious parody songs out of these. I already have some ideas kicking around in my head

3 Likes

Hahaha. I was wondering if that was who replied to this thread on VfJ

Mags:

10 Likes

Yep

1 Like

Hahahaha, this is awesome

1 Like

Samesies. This is the first time in over 10 years I have listened to a UM song and actually wanted to listen to it again immediately.

3 Likes