2023/03/12 - Belly Up - Aspen, CO

BRING BACK THE BALLS BOYS!!

2 Likes

Supposedly Kris doesn’t like it because it’s sophomoric. But dude, you are in Umphrey’s McGee.

1 Like

The guy that allegedly still likes to indulge in nose clams the most, is the most mature?

1 Like

For real?

Yeah, I have no recollection of the source but I remember hearing that a few times.

Let’s cut that joke from Prowler then play Dick In A Box.

3 Likes

@thefussyasianman asked during an S2 Q&A why they don’t say “lick balls” in Prowler and they said it was because of Kris. He brought up when he was learning UM’s catalog they taught him the rhythm for the bridge of 2nd Self using the words “My balls, you’re gonna have to lick my balls, you’re gonna have to suck my balls, you’re gonna have to suck my dick.”

2 Likes

As far as “hot as balls” in 40s I assumed it’s just one of those things Bayliss lets the audience yell now. Same with “mama come shake that ass.”

1 Like

I already do that for most songs in my head and now I have to do it with 2nd self.

I have a jingle I sing in my head to my wife’s phone alarm it goes:

“My dick is real small,
My dick is real small
It’s really really small,
It’s really fucking small”

5 Likes

I did? My memory is shit so have zero recollection of that.

2 Likes

Pretty sure it was you. I wasn’t there and can’t recall which S2 but I had the recording.

1 Like

Well I guess it wasn’t @thefussyasianman. I felt like I could even hear his voice in my head asking the question.

5:20 in

1 Like

I wasn’t expecting the 16-song throwawayish-looking Sunday show to be the best of the weekend but…well, it’s pretty awesome, really. All In Time, Utopian, Pure Saturation, and Phil’s are all worth a listen here. Wappy encore peak is pretty fiery too.

AIT is particularly impressive to me with the frenetic dance > well done ambient > perfect drop into Milk. Utopian is a good example of Jake messing up a peak but I love the groove and build to that point. And Pure Saturation just continues to show why they should jam it all the time - slow, proggy, moody jams for days. I would have definitely been more than happy walking out of this show, and most of the shows in 2023, to be sure. Good stuff.

4 Likes

AIT and Wappy are super fierce and probably would have sounded about 10x better live than on this hollow recording.

However…this first set is pretty rough. Fir was really quite bland to me, has to be just about the most unremarkable 20m version ever. Very generic jazz groove in the 1st jam and like you said, that peak just doesn’t land at all. The 2nd jam comes during the dub groove before the vocals which was mildly interesting, I guess.

I’ve always couldn’t stand the belly ups recordings. Always sounded like they were playing in a garbage can… which is essentially what the belly up is.

3 Likes

I feel like all the shows over the last year that have been posted to nugs have sounded like shit. Something is off with chris’ mix

That’s interesting that you say that. I’ve thought that at times as well. Seems like Ryan is often low in the mix. I find myself turning up my sub at home when listening to them these days.

Thank you! I knew it wasn’t my syatem when I was definitely turning it up just to be able to hear the mix at a decent level for this years mixs

I feel like it’s Brendan who is usually too low. But Joel has been louder lately so that’s cool.

1 Like

I one day hope to feel the joy that @hbbubblebath felt during GYMRH. It was a pleasure to watch. Happy 100th!

3 Likes