2023/03/05 - Crystal Ballroom - Portland, OR

The crowd kept getting horney for more. BB just giving the people what they want.

1 Like

One of the so and so’s on saxophone was on the last Bort. I can’t remember his handle. Was it @makisuperfan?

Nah that’s a different person.

1 Like

I saw one is a V4Jer apparently

Hmm. I remember being in line with Sean in Sandpoint 2016 back when he was a Borter. So he was on the last iteration.

I stayed at his place In Minneapolis in 2010 but I feel like his handle was something different.

1 Like

Bummer. I see only a couple UM shows a year anymore. Sucks one of the two shows you hit up is a snoozer.

Able to grab an Uber within one minute and get back to the Airbnb in less than 10 minutes since we left during the end of AiT though. Def highlight of the night. Had to recount the Marc Maron Rolling Stones concert bit.

unfamiliar, but intrigued

It’s on his Too Real special on Netflix.

1 Like

And I’m flying home on Southwest like a poor.

Langbaan was fucking sick though. Great rec @OSUmBeaverPhreak. That was a peak meal.

2 Likes

After first listen, a standard Staircase is a unique song to go take a piss to

Skim complete. There are a few things worth saving here, actually:
-I enjoyed Staircase and thought it was about as well executed as could reasonably be expected. It really does sound different from other UM live songs. I don’t think it’s necessarily a piss break song automatically - the room for improv is there and it could work well as a breather out of a big segment. We’ll see where it goes.
-Considering they only had about 5 minutes available to jam Escape Goat, they used them in the best way possible. Joel for the win with that uplifting keyboard line.
-The second heavy segment of In the Kitchen is pretty interesting, and a good segue into Looks.

Decidedly below par, and The Silent Type may have one of the worst extended jams I’ve heard from them this year too (band is just not clicking even as they change key twice), but moments were there. Skippable, but Detroit is still comfortably in last place for 2023 shows :slight_smile:

3 Likes

After the Eugene show, @swb0nd texted me

2000s dominated eug, 2010s tomorrow, 2020+ Sunday?

I responded

The upward>whistle kids>rocktopus segment is going to slay in pdx.

The fact I was even 1/3 right is annoying.

3 Likes

A Love Supreme jam in this HBB, that was kinda cool.

Echoes tease at the beginning of Higgins.

Staircase vox very rough but I like the song, can see it becoming really good live.

As @kev347 said, the Silent Type really did not deliver in the end but I love what they are doing around 8-9m, too bad they couldn’t really take that to a more interesting conclusion.

Slacker jam is good, has a very Staircase-y vibe actually with ambient electronic groove that evolves into a heavy alt-rock finish.

2 Likes

Kitchen jam was dank.

2 Likes

Might arguably be their worst Portland show since 2014. Not that any of their post-2014 Portland shows have been stellar.

3 Likes

I’m ~fairly~ certain that was Sean’s handle. He’s pretty good friends w/my ex GF’s friend group & I 1st met him in ‘02 I believe, at the Summerfest show. It’s def cool seeing his name pop up in a setlist.

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/Umphreys/comments/11kpnsq/the_portland_show_was_weird/

Me and my partner went to the Portland show and it was pretty interesting. This was only my second time seeing them but this crowd had a different vibe. More of a rowdy party. Full disclosure I was rolling and so perception was altered to a degree. The weird thing is that it feels like Umphrey’s started to play bad on purpose. Almost like they sensed the vibe of the crowd and decided to fuck with the crowd. Like boring guitar solos that looked cool and had a rock star vibe but the solos themselves sounded clanky and intentionally bad. It seems like they would flip a switch and go into this version of the band that was terrible then switch back on to the real band. But when they were terrible some people were still rocking out like it was something amazing. They would play bad and people would love it, they would play worse and worse til finally people stopped dancing. They must have switched on from the good version of them to the other like 10 times. Did anyone else notice this or are me and my girlfriend both crazy?

Edit. I wrote this in a comment below but should probably go here. I cant say if it was intentional or not but we all perceive the world through our own lenses. For me its was rolling as a casual fan of UM, for a lot of the audience it was drunk through a hard core fans eyes. Everything they do will look and sound good to them, but to me they just doing calculated thjngs to look cool without the good music to back it up. Like some of the stuff was just cliche basic rock god stuff to get the crowd going, devil horns, the guitarists both getting on one knee while soling. Like they knew how to manipulate the energy in the crowd. To me, call me crazy thats fine, it felt like they were saying ignore the flash and pay attention, be here, be present. And when they were on, their music would often transition to a meditative feel, the droning guitars/synth, the harmonic tones, all sounded like it could be on some kind of meditation track if you stripped it down.

1 Like

gross

1 Like

get this guy a bort log in

3 Likes