2023/01/26 - The Clyde Theatre - Ft Wayne, IN

I hadn’t listened to any variation of this song until I was driving home. My first thought was that it sounds like a very radio friendly song meant for the masses. Not a fan.

Same

2 Likes

I liked this show more than most, I guess? A very good Sweetness, imo - and that song in general is just hard not to love.

Not sold on dayville yet. But wouldn’t be the first that took a bit of time to grow on me…

I enjoyed listening to Tribute and the entire Dayville > Sweetness > Intentions > Tinkles was very enjoyable. Just nothing really JOTY worthy or super exploratory in this show.

1 Like

Dayville > Ambient shit > Sweetness looks good. Set 2 looks good. Bummer the scratched Spires. We’ll written setlist imo

This show is greater than the sum of its parts. Like, there isn’t a single jam in this show I’m even going to think about voting for in the HOF (which automatically puts it behind a couple 2023 shows), but the flow and general transitions all show long are immaculate, and sometimes a whole lot of pretty good goes a long way. This is exactly the type of Joel setlist I’d want on a Thursday night in Fort Wayne. Always October > improv > Tribute and Dayville > Sweetness > Intentions > Tinkle’s are exactly the kind of setlist writing we need.

The highlight is probably Dayville which goes really far out there. I’d say in fact that if they had proceeded from the dropout to coming back in hard to peak instead of transitioning to Sweetness maybe there WOULD be an HOF jam here. But Sweetness was still a fine call too. Just please keep playing Dayville. I also really enjoyed the Plunger jam despite its short length, and the transition to Walletsworth is top notch.

Always October’s improv debut isn’t that great, but they tried. The song is bad though so if they just want to forget about it, then you know :slight_smile:

1 Like