2022 JOTY Discussion

Totally agree

1 Like

Anybody got a current playlist? Not gonna SU&R

2 Likes

I put this together a couple days ago

6 Likes

My man. I was thinking about doing it tbh, but it seemed like a paradox to do a bunch of work because I really wanna be lazy, and then let others who are just as lazy reap the benefits.

You’re a wizard Harry.

2 Likes

I like making a good nugs playlist. I got you, boo.

3 Likes

Same, I just dont like sifting through UM jams. Does anyone do jam mixes anymore?

@stringz @Southern_Dan

Either way, you’re the man baby boy!

2 Likes

Oh i havent listened to like 90% of this, but since i liked that Slacker so much i wanted to dig through other stuff. So far so good. The Dayville Monarchy was really good. Caught me off guard.

2 Likes

I have Stew Mixes going back to 04. This year is a bit behind as I have a shit ton on stuff going on and I’m missing several shows from this summer…

4 Likes

What would you need in order to rip individual segments from songs?

CD WAV editor has been my go to forever.

1 Like

I’m assuming that you have to buy the actual song instead of relying on streaming services.

Buy or acquire through other means…

This is a damn good mixtape. IDK if you had a chance, but check out the Fir>Haunt>Fir from Michigan. And there was a good couple minutes of a bass rumble during The Linear from 8/27/22.

1 Like

Digging through more of the these jams.

Getting some 12/30/09 2x2 vibes from this 02/19/22 Fir. Also like how Jake is sticking to playing those boxey patterns and not trying to do too much. Nothing super unique, but this jams is definitely a vibe.

That Meth circus Mantis from 01/28/22 was probably more unique, but also kinda gave me a headache afterwhile. Both super cool jams.

02/25/22 Uncommon didnt really stand out much to me. I could see it being fun in the moment, but just a lot of wankery.

01/21/22 Prowler has got to be one of the better versions they have played, i would think. There was a cool one from 2014 i remember, but dont actually remember what it sounds like. Stasik is especially impressive here. He sets multiple unique moods throughout.

Out of those early year recommendations, the Fir is my favorite. None of them are as good as the 08/24/22 Dayville Monarchy or 08/25/22 Slacker, though, IMO.

Looking forward to listening to the rest. Their summer sound sounds much more pleasant to my ears so far, have enjoyed everything ive listened to so far tho. Cant see myself going back to Uncommon or Mantis, but would circle back to the rest. Havent felt that way in awhile.

4 Likes

Finished listening to everything that was mentioned in this thread. That was the most UM i have consumed in a 48 hour period in a very long time.

Here is my top 10 in very loose order

09/01/22 - Ringo 1st jam
08/25/22 - Slacker
07/08/22 - Wappy
06/19/22 - Nemo
08/24/22 - Dayville Monarchy
06/16/22 - Plunger
09/01/22 - Escape Goat
07/16/22 - Dayville Monarchy
02/19/22 - Utopian Fir
07/15/22 - Escape Goat

Honorable mention to the 01/21/22 Prowler and 09/08/22 Puppet String

Will have to check out Bozeman EG again. It was my least favorite of the three versions mentioned, but was a bit burnt out by time i got to it.

Pretty obvious having the new album out and getting back to a normal schedule has made a big difference for them. Dont see myself going out of my way to see a ton of shows or anything, but this definitely all good Umphrey’s and happy to hear them finding some pockets of magic again.

7 Likes

3 Likes

Listened to Bozeman EG again. That shit rules. Was definitely just burnt out by time i got to it. Its best of those three versions, and that jam would slide into my top 5.

4 Likes

I love the validation on the 7.8 Wappy because that jam is awesome bliss UM and while it’s nothing unique the peak is amazing and I would have been super stoked to catch it live.

Going back a bit, I really like the 40’s from 1/29 and the AIT from 1/28. Detroit IIRC. They’re not JOTY probably, but they’re fun and really funky.

I think 8/25 Slacker is probably my favorite jam I’ve heard this year. Of all the Escape Goats, I think I like the first one the best.

1 Like