2022/12/31 - Coca Cola Roxy - Atlanta, GA

I just relistened to the Goat and it is surprisingly solid for after-midnight. Not on par with the best versions of the year, but certainly well above normal NYE par. Dump ruled the night and the weekend though.

2 Likes

I thought the A and B section of Famtachments was slick as hell as well

Could have sworn there was an AiT jam of some sort this night? Floor maybe?

Edit: Yup. Starts around 6:45 mark of the Floor. Just a brief playing of the duel guitar section of AiT

6 Likes

Yes! That was very cool in the moment to realize that. Kind of a Biscuits move, love the curveballs

2 Likes

Yeah the band should do more curveballs. Like the Believe the Lie intro into Hurt Bird Bath at Madison 2009. I love shit like that.

5 Likes

The curveballs seemed to be more frequent than they’ve been in awhile this weekend between those, the complete fakeout back into Junk before continuing the jam on Friday, and the slow groovy Dump. More, please. Good times.

This Attachments is great!! Yes, Jake’s guitar ultimately derails it a little but not as bad as I thought. Band actually brought it a little in the 3rd set this year - good stuff.

1 Like

Mulches jam before the end of Fir

2 Likes

That doesn’t really strike me as something planned. Just seemed like Jake was ready to go back into Junk and the rest of them weren’t.

Some of their best curveballs were the unplanned ones ala #5 from 11/02/2011

1 Like

Ya but that’s kinda the opposite of what was happening there

3 Likes

Kinda, however they did briefly return to the jam for a moment before moving on > the next song

Haven’t read everything in this thread but I’m listening to the show now. Dump was very good. Then I was surprised when Jake missed the peak in 40s.

That is all.

2 Likes

Escape Goat, Attachments is my fav segment between the two shows. Attachments my fav of the run. Junk probably #2. Surprised by this given the love for N1 initially.

He was too preoccupied with thinking about when he was going to drop an n bomb

5 Likes

Fewest covers at NYE in some time? Ever?

Leaning into the “Standard Great” for NYE.

I fucking love it. Gonna see more UM in 23. Coffin still sucks.

9 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised with the tasteful and fewer covers. Like 1 in each set is acceptable, especially given the event. I was fully prepared for like 6 covers so I was happy they let the covers take a back seat and still gave us some improv and pretty damn good dog selection. I was happy about the Uncommon appearance amongst others like Red Tape and a solid EG. We coulda ROCKED a 3 or 4 night run in that town, but for a first time NYE it was a superb appetizer

1 Like

They seemed to have let off the covers in general this year at least that’s what it felt like to me. I always dug getting some new covers over NYE which are the songs I don’t mind horns for usually. One of my favorites was 25 or 6 to 4 back in 2011, whole run was great that year.

2 Likes

Black Messiah in 2007 was a great one from the NYE runs I’ve done.

4 Likes

AIT jam out of nowhere in The Floor is fantastic. My highlight of the weekend, along with the obvious (Dump City, IC > Junk)

4 Likes