2022/09/09 - The Elm - Bozeman, MT

2022/09/09 - The Elm - Bozeman, MT

Set 1: Catshot > 40’s Theme, It’s Not Your Fault[1 > #5 > Out of Order > Always October, Looks, Attachments > The Fussy Dutchman

Set 2: Escape Goat, Suxity > Der Bluten Kat, The Floor, Slacker

Encore: Nopener, Much Obliged

[1] debut, original

1 Like

Second set :flushed: (based on songs/times)

2 Likes

5 Likes

22 min Goat to open S2 sounds tasty!

4 Likes

This is a good one. Grimy goodness. Love that they are jamming the shit out of this one

1 Like

Escape goat is pretty damn good!!

3 Likes

This is tight

1 Like

This second DBK jam feels composed. It’s absolutely beautiful though. I wonder if it’s something they’re working on.

2 Likes

Yeah not the biggest fan of the final 3 minutes but that groove is gritty out of the gates.

1 Like

Just finished that DBK - loved the first jam!

1 Like

Felt like they just cut the Escape Goat peak a tiny bit short but still an absolute heater of a jam. Damn this band is on fire right now.

3 Likes

Love to see them playing so well this summer, since they had a slow start when coming back to touring after the pandy. You can say what you want about the new album but these new songs have been great in the improv department.

Escape Goat fux.

6 Likes

Anyone that doubted Umphrey’s wouldn’t return to form hasn’t been paying attention to their career. A little bummed they are only playing four more shows after this month (technically six) cause it would be nice to see them ride this momentum out longer but I have a feeling we are in for a pretty solid 25th anniversary year!

7 Likes

Really refreshing to see and hear them playing continuously well at this point

4 Likes

Agree!!

1 Like

Another excellent show. Definitely wasn’t expecting to like Looks and Attachments better than anything in the 2nd set though, but here we are. I think what I appreciate about this Looks is that as naturally abrasive as that song is, most of its jams tend to cover that territory, so to see a jam in Looks gradually work its way all the way out there to smooth and then soaring/uplifting territory and then segue back in nicely is pretty cool. Attachments I just love because the grooves are so infectious, and it peaks twice! Gets a lot accomplished in 8 minutes - relatively “short” for a jam from that song.

Certainly, the 2nd set lives up to its billing too. DBK 2nd stew sounds composed, possibly like something they’ve been working on? It’s very slow and sounds like something you’d hear in a local bar, but they build it up nicely. As for Escape Goat, it’s a Bisco jam from their most Bisco of songs. It worries more about taking a groove and exploring every inch of that groove than the more typically UM approach of beginning, middle, and end. I love it for what it is, and think it’s ballsy of them to lean so heavily into this approach, but it’s not something I will revisit as often as some other Goats.

It’s Not Your Fault sounds good. The King’s X vibes of that song have grown on me. Doubt it will be played live much though.

3 Likes

Have they announced that there won’t be any Q4 shows besides NYE?

I can’t find the tweet right now but Joel mentioned 11.11-12 being the last shows they announce for the year back in July.

EDIT:

Definitely feels composed. Sounded a bit familiar too

1 Like

2nd set is spectaculous. Escape Goat is having a hell of a debut summer. Gives me thoughts of 2011 Red Tape. Looks was a little weird, in the good way. Great show, and I haven’t hit DBK yet.

4 Likes