2022/09/03 - The Fox Theater- Oakland, CA

I got a little nugjar now. I’ve been busy this summer. I’ve been dying to hit a show, i just felt exhausted. I definitely should have gone, but I guess it feels good to be happy at home, which I am. It sounds f’d up, guess my age is showing. I was there in spirit. I always am. Thanks for the good vibes, truly

5 Likes

Hey all I have a very important announcement, this HBB hits diffy dude

1 Like

Escape Goat jam of the night. Too short though! Such a great mood established. Why no build? :frowning:

Still though, that’s kind of the theme of this show. Everything was very good but nothing quite went next-level. My gut tells me this is actually a Bayliss setlist but it is certainly an interesting concept to smash all the longer jam vehicles together and see what happens. In this case, a pretty solid night and a very good paper setlist. I mentioned over in the couch tour thread also that Half Delayed (and its segue) could not have been better placed.

1 Like

Listened to most of Mantis today on my way to Aldi®, like what I heard out of the gate, will make sure to rewatch/relisten to the entire show.

Still loving NN. Plunger jam after the obligatory Jake chug was fun while it lasted.

Does every jam have to have a big peak? If I were to level one criticism at the band it’s that they seem to want to peak everything lately. And even still, the Escape Goat definitely builds up into a pretty fiery jam by the end, def my favorite thing from this show, though the NN > Plunger is up there as well.

1 Like

I don’t think EVERY jam has to have a big peak, but in this case, the band chose to bring the song to a dead stop and not even segue into the next thing. If not a peak, then a better transition would have been cool. It’s a nitpick though for sure.

came to say the exact opposite. Thought the Mantis was kind of a mess of two rushed peaks… Can’t decide if I feel like listening to the rest of the show

You may well be right, I was half listening while driving with the “wife” and kids. I forget how great a standard piece of music Mantis itself it sometimes though.

The Mantis is a nice effort, especially for an opening punch. It’s not a bad groove they get into, they just couldn’t seem to find their footing… this is especially the case once they settled on that dance groove for the 2nd peak. It peters out after that peak and they finish Mantis.

I’m honestly more distraught about the Plunger. If they didn’t abandon that idea just to finish Bridgeless, that could’ve been the jots IF they let it breathe a bit

Mantis is such a good song. Perfect opener for the Bay Area crew who have been waiting a few years to see the band out here. It is not lost on us just how lucky we are to have them tour out here.

‘We believe there’s something here worth dying for…’

2 Likes

With you. Finishing Bridgeless is a giant waste of time in this case. And in general.

1 Like

The end of bridgeless is A+ composed UM imo but they love using it as a ripcord

4 Likes

I’ve never thought of end Bridgeless in terms of compositional quality, and this is one of many areas that I differ from lots of you more musically inclined folks.

I just think those 6 or so minutes could be used better but I’m also the guy who very recently has been railing against UM and their insistence on finishing songs. So I’m just (insert beating dead horse emoji).

1 Like

Man I wish they kept with that grimey house groove going from 11:30 - 13:00 in Mantis. But Jake just jumped all over that with some cock rock riffs and killed the vibes. Still a good jam because the first 6 mins are real nice and I love the beautiful space textures at the end.

I don’t mind them finishing Bridgeless here. You already got 4 really strong jams and a half hr of improv in that set, and the Plunger jam was pretty spicy for being <6 mins long

Bort has taught me that Jake can be fun, and ruin the fun all in the same song.

1 Like

Incase there’s any interest in watching i posted a direct link to the video which is up until 9/13 on nugs.net. Fair heads up!

1 Like