2022/04/29 - Variety Playhouse - Atlanta, GA

I felt similarly, the songs sound hollow without Jake. Regardless of who you prefer he brings a lead guitar feel that isn’t the same with just BB imo.

I agree. I think BB did a good job, but I love the call and response of Bb’s vocals and Jake’s lead.

I know I’ve been a big Jake hater but I just want to follow up on this thread and state for the record….UM compositions are better with Jake by several orders of magnitude. I don’t think anyone ever argued otherwise. It’s only the improv where he can rub me the wrong way but I’d never want to see him leave the band.

My only frame of reference for jakeless shows is that 2017 northeast run where I had a really great time and really enjoyed the improv. However, I’ll admit that Redman was a big part of that.

UM definitely sounds rough over the course of this run and it doesn’t seem like they really pulled it off without him.

Hope he’s alright and gets back to the band soon.

This show was so good because the band made the show all about him, and the energy was electric in the sense that this band/community needs Jake to be what it is. I thought that was pretty awesome as well.

3 Likes

Glad to hear that. I haven’t listened to this yet but definitely will pop it on soon. I love the song selection.

I only tuned into one of the day time streams and was really unimpressed. Yikes.

It also unfortunately, makes me believe things are in fact not as good as I’d hope they were when they first announced his “break”. Pretty sad to hear.

Finally got around to listening to this show today. Despite the fact this weekend was kind of a debacle overall, this show is really pretty good! Slacker and Domino are exactly the type of jams I’d hope for them to go for with no Jake around: taking advantage of the additional space in the mix to build deeper grooves. Divisions has a really interesting short proggy idea around 5 1/2 minutes in, too.

That said, Myers’ backing vocals on the Made to Measure composed part (which I assume were thrown together for this Jakeless version only) are beyond laughable. You have to check these out.