2021/11/19 - The National - Richmond, VA

1. Rocker Part 2, Push the Pig, 2nd Self, Night Nurse > The Bottom Half, In the Kitchen, Wizard Burial Ground

2. Plunger > Utopian Fir > Creep > Meeting in the Aisle > Utopian Fir > JaJunk, Gulf Stream, Den

E. Patience, Pay the Snucka

1 Like

They played @Southern_Dan favorite song!

1 Like

That second set totally got Gulf Streamed…how brutal!

Interesting segment to open 2nd set. Could do without Creep and I feel like they just crush Meeting in the Aisle.

1 Like

Cool looking show. Was it a complete jajunk?

I thought it was perfect placing for a bro out moment haha

Fantastic show tonight. Thought night 1 was great (especially that first set :fire:) but tonight blew it out of the water. Band was having an absolute blast, crowd was super into the whole show, and every jam worked well.

Highlights:

Rocker pt 2 (not london sessioned)
Night nurse
Utopian (!) - feel like they’ve missed the mark on this one recently, but tonight’s was unreal.
Jajunk - short but so tight, perf follow up for the monster utopian

Thought Gulf Stream placement was perfect to settle everyone down after a raging start to the second set, then den was the perfect cap to the feel good vibes. Show def worth a full listen.

2 Likes

Agree with these takes bro. I will say the U Fir from Hulaween was some heat as far as 2021 U Firs go

Night Nurse was my 1st set highlight. Ending with Wizard was a blast too.

I think that 2nd set might’ve been my favorite of the weekend. 1st set last night was a blast but once Suxity hit it was meh. But the highlights are high.

What a two night run tho. Been a while since I’ve seen indoor UM and that’s where they shine. Factor crushed it too

4 Likes

Ehh last night >>> tonight for me. Tonight was still a lot of fun and definitely had some memorable moments, but I think in the long run last night will have much more replayability.

Improvwise I actually don’t have a ton to say. Not much really got there in the first set (even ITK was like 3 minutes long - what the heck?) except the Night Nurse, which was one of those jams that’s pretty much just an avalanche of danceable themes from everyone but it ends up working. I have a soft spot for the uniqueness of Bottom Half. It’s essentially a punk jam, with Jake riffing in a very punk fashion right off and the rest of the band taking it into overdrive very quickly and a fun transition back to the song (it wouldn’t make sense if a punk jam were long, would it?) As for the second set, Utopian had two jams, but I thought both were pretty average if fun; then Junk was a rushed peak which worked well at the end of a marathon segment but has low replayability. Plunger was the highlight yet again with a cool metal bounceback that eventually led into a dance jam. I loved the key changes Jake kept doing in the metal section - it’s funny just how one step makes the whole thing go from feeling like a metal song to a classic rock tune.

The setlist writing on this was over the top though. I loved the boldness of “end 1st set with WBG, start first set with metal Plunger” and “play two Radiohead songs in a row” and “play 45 minutes of music back to back to open 2nd set”. The more they push the envelope, the better off they’ll be. Creep was a Bayliss singalong in the style you would expect (though to me, Jake sounded hilariously disinterested throughout). Patience was something different though - Joel vocals FTW. It felt like 2020 all over again hearing Creep and Patience on a Friday night :slight_smile:

@Southern_Dan was this your 101st Plunger or did you just do setlist duties? :slight_smile:

1 Like

That 2nd set does look pretty damn phenomenal. Pretty inspiring to see a big opening segment like that, feel like that’s always a great way to play a set

2/9/10 kabump is the GOAT jam

1 Like

Fuck yes it is. Now let’s talk Curb!

Is that Untzing in the Aisle?

2 Likes

I was just doing the setlist, I only can take so many weekends off in a year so the only UM shows I have planned are Holidaze and AVL. I hope to catch Plunger at both of those though lol.

Setlist is old schoolAF! Nothing post-2012 or so. I’m gonna give 4 thumbs up to any set that starts with Pulnger>Fir>Jajunk… then you add Gulf Stream and its a thing of beauty

1 Like

Listened to about half of the first set. If this show is good I’m still confident in my decision to not travel for UM anymore.

First set looks terrible with those jam times

1 Like

No need to poke fun at that comment, we’ve all been there. I’m just glad they are at least touring some before holidaze might actually get one heater of a set on the beach in a couple weeks (maybe?). TWT :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Does Holidaze ever get good UM sets?

1 Like