2021/11/18 - The National - Richmond, VA

For real? Milk>Jimmy both with improv is garbage? Passing>(seemingly solid)Tinkles. Seasons has produced some decent improv and Fussy is one of their best standard tunes. The only bad part about this set (on paper) is the no jam Suxity.

Edit: With that said, the Jimmy wooing is the WORST!

2 Likes

Watching that set list come through on Twitter, yeah, it looked like hot garbage. Milk, Seasons, and CW can’t be counted on to have improv, Suxity sux. Soc and Tinkles are the only reliable tunes in there

And we all know an Umphrey’s > doesn’t mean shit. Usually just means they held a note while everyone tuned their guitars before starting the next song.

But I’m happy it was good! I’m going to listen to it!

2 Likes

Good point. I’m basing it off of Milk having improv and Tinkles being good. If Milk had no improv, this set would look the complete opposite to me. It’s that big of a wildcard for them. And, yes, Suxity does indeed suck!

1 Like

Sorry for the incoherent rambling last night. Taking it a whole lot easier tonight lol.

Really like this show, way better than both Caverns nights IMO (only other shows I’ve seen this year). First set was an absolute blast up until Suxity. MTO dance party was the most energy in the building all night. Tons of fun.

Nothing really standout in set 2 but probably the best encore I’ve seen from them. Would give this show a B/B- and I have nothing but good things to say about the national.

The National has the best balcony sightline I’ve ever experienced. Combine that with super friendly/efficient staff, even when adding the vaccine step last night…real great experience all around.

God damn this Tinkles is next level. 2011 esque jam as far as the consistent intensity goes.

Often the plan, rarely reality

5 Likes

This Seasons jam is so lovely.

1 Like

I’m nursing beers and running on fumes haha. But it might get wacky in the venue

Love seeing Season get the treatment

S1 is pretty great. Seasons jam isn’t great, but I enjoyed the Milk > Socialable. Great 1, 2 punch to start. Tinkle’s is the centerpiece of the show. Definitely does not disappoint. Love it.

For 2021 UM, that’s an A set, it’s not going to get better than that, IMO.

1 Like

That what I do and then someone offers me a finger dip and then wheeeeee

1 Like

I’m a sucker for jams that start with a really great drums and bass section to kick things off. Really enjoyed that when listening to the first set today.

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, or to make your own check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

5 Likes

S1 is some of the best UM of the year. Each of the 3 first songs had jams and got better with each one. Seasons was :fire:. Tinkles was fun as well. Take away the bullshit Suxity and we have a near perfect UM set (2020-2021 scale). I’d have to go back, but I think this is arguably SOTY (haven’t listened to N2 yet).

I apologize for shortchanging this Bath in my initial review. While the Strangleholding in the 2nd jam still sucks, upon relisten the 1st one is very solid and much more exploratory than I remember. Also upon relisten, Tinkle’s is amazing. Possibly the best Tinkle’s since 2011.

I do think I like Pageant N1 more as a complete show than this, though I still need to relisten to that. But it’s up there.

1 Like

I think this tinkles suffers from having one of the most repeated stasik lines of the last ten years. Nice jam, but doesn’t feel all that special imo.

That said, solid first set. Really enjoyed the Sociable and Seasons jams (although felt both coulda used another min or two)

2 Likes

Not sure I can recall this precise Stasik baseline before. Maybe something similar but I cant think of any others…
EDIT: After listening to the STL show from 11/12, this Tinkles is eerily similar although taken to a much better conclusion. Still, I think the 7/9/21 Tinkles is better as far as versions from this year go.

First set is some if the more enjoyable UM I have heard in months. They actually sound pretty patient.

I am honestly totally ok with standard Suxity. It’s a decent enough tune but I can’t stand the boring blues jams that it spawns.