2021/08/21 - Three Sisters Park - Chillicothe, IL

I know we’ve been hating a lot lately, but THIS setlist looks fine. Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned heavy hitter festival throwdown. Certainly plenty of improv room here, especially in 2nd set. I look forward to skimming tomorrow.

Did you look at the track times yet

2 Likes

Yes cannot wait to hear that 8 min Linear and 9 min Triple Wide. Yawn.

I would agree with you if they would jsut write 6 or 7 song setlists and be willing to cut a song rather than writing 8-9 song setlists and cutting every jam off after 4-5 mins.

1 Like

I hadn’t. Big yikes. How in the heck is that 2nd set under 70 minutes? That 14-minute 1348 and 13-minute Wappy better bring it. yawn

1 Like

UM has been garbage lately, and its just so damn uninspiring to listen to, but this 1348 decent. However, don’t get too excited about the track time as it’s a finished version.

1 Like

Kashmir teases in Looks and Stairway to Heaven tease at the end of 3X.

Edit: Also some Little Wing teases in the ITK intro. ITK is - > into Bridgless and left unfinished.

Yikes

Yeah August historically speaking has spawned some great shows. I haven’t been overly impressed with August ‘21, though

1 Like

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, or to make your own check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

1 Like

In a perfect world I would like less songs more jams

4 Likes

For some reason the Friday and Saturday sets were all scheduled for just an 75 minutes this year. Only the Sunday set was 90. Not sure why.

I noticed this too. Couldn’t remember for sure but thought scamp sets were usually 90 minutes each

I feel like they’re usually 70-80 minutes (standard um set) followed by a 90 minute Sunday set. Not that I have any solid recollection of their scamp sets at this point.

Maybe they’re just usually blocked out as 90 minutes on the scamp schedule to be safe, but yeah looking at Nugs I guess 75 is par for the course for the actual set length

I saw the theory that they’re gearing up IDM as a 3-jam vehicle in another thread as a preparation for UMBowl. Goodness, I hope not. If this version is any indication, all three will be neutered to death every time. In a 60-minute set it could work, but in the normal 15 minute version we know they’ll limit themselves to at normal shows, that’s a hard pass. Thanks. 3/29/19 IDM is one of their best single song performances of the last five years; just keep it simple, please.

I enjoyed the In the Kitchen transition back into Bridge, kind of blending both endings and making the crowd wonder which one they were going to do before dropping into Bridge. Would be fun if they did this more often.

Friday runs laps around this show, and that’s pretty unfortunate.

We have an acronym for that. TMSNEI

That’s an interesting rumor and seems cool, but then you realize that you can’t even remember the last time there was a 2 jam HBB or DBK where both the jams were good. At least I can’t. You might get one great one, but the other one never is given the time to “get there” and is either rushed or peters out before it does.

1 Like

@jwelsh8 this 2nd set is missing a few songs on ATU. After 3x it’s 3x > Linear > Divisions, Kitchen → Bridgeless.