2021/08/20 - Three Sisters Park - Chillicothe, IL

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, or to make your own check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

2 Likes

Is that a little bit of yellow in Nether I see? Guess I’ll have to check out the outro of that…

It’s just outro fluff, nothing special just a long wind up >

THANK YOU!!!

1 Like

Looks like too much improv tbh

Reading this makes me sad because UM used to be good at festivals.

4 Likes

Ok Bayliss.

This Crooked One is pretty fantastic. Such a massive, heavy, vaguely Middle Eastern jam. Given how Crooked Ones are going this year, maybe the band should just be mandated to play Crooked One every show until they learn how to jam again. I support this.

The Puppet String to follow it up is not bad either. Standard heavy riff jam but the peak is more creative than usual and the frenetic > into Crucial Taunt is well done. First set is just a massively heavy set of music.

Unfortunately, the improv nosedives from this point in the show. I don’t enjoy how the outro of Ocean Billy is just a vehicle for Jake chugs now either.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Damn I love the chord changes they tack on to the main section of this Crooked jam. Not common to hear a middle eastern style jam that deviates from a single build.

Primo Jake shreds on this peak too. Would’ve been sick to keep the jam going in a new direction afterwards but still a pretty heady Crooked One. Very surprising how Crooked seems to have become the standout jam vehicle of the year.

1 Like

Listening to the 1st set now. Love the Crooked>Puppet>crucial segment. Perfect for my UM tastes.

1 Like

I really liked Joel’s playing during the Miami. It would of been nice if they extended the jam a bit longer, but that is 2021 for you.

2nd set of highlights for me are HBB, Floor, and Ocean Billy. Seemed like they were exploring some interesting ideas in all of these, and could have developed each idea way more but cut them all short for some reason. Still seems like a nice, flowy, danceable set and I probably would have had a great time in person.