2021/08/12 - Frederik Meijer Gardens - Grand Rapids, MI

Just want to reiterate how dope these Billy & The Kids RR shows are for good measure

5 Likes

Goodbye horses

1 Like

I domed both of them this afternoon and Iā€™m already on the mountain top screaming B&TK > JRAD

2 Likes

I still donā€™t buy this.

More authentic and has a more danceable tempos, jrad is full send almost 100% of the time. Billy is such a cool as drummer and as good as Russo is thereā€™s just something about Billy K that brings tGD music to life. I would honestly take more Billy and the kids shows over jrad shows at this point

2 Likes

Yeah, this is my vibe.

2 Likes

I just think that when an actual member of the dead is in the band it takes it to a completely different level. PhilRAD was awesome. I would take PhilRAD over JRAD

Pass the Owsley brah

7 Likes

I got you anytime ya want bud

3 Likes

I feel the same way, Billy and the kids felt way more Dead-y to me if that makes sense. Sometimes I think jrad is just circlejerking themselves of how spacey or jammy they can get

1 Like

Will accept both arguments in this post. BITK definitely has more of a GD vibe (probably cuz the drummer was there or something). And JRAD can definitely get wayyyyyyyy out there on some opium-in-the-dirt-turning-the-tractorbeam-off-on-the-deathstar space vibes.

Iā€™ve just seen some JRAD shows that kept me lingering in the stratosphere for days. Hard for any band to do that for me. Iā€™ve seen a couple BITK shows too, but never with BS (obvi). I mean Iā€™m all in on either one. Really hope BITK bring this shit on tour at least once with BMFS. I would definitely travel for that, if for nothing other than a ā€œonce in a lifetimeā€ type of opportunity.

TL;DR: they both undeniably crush.

6 Likes

Was but a meteor streaking across the sky, canā€™t recreate that shit. Youā€™re easily thread MVP. I guess I gotta hit up some southern Biscuits to party with SJB.

4 Likes

You fucking should!!! I feel like I know you already. Love your vibe and all the constant positivity you bring! You are a breath of fresh air around these parts and weā€™re lucky to have you. Come see me soon. I got a spare bedroom with your name on it.

God damn, Iā€™m high.

9 Likes

EAD

3 Likes

What got cut here? Looks like Home (JO)

1 Like

Nemo

3 Likes

Nemo (JO) to be precise. I listened to a little bit of the 1st set on the way into work. Rocker II started off with a semi-interesting rock feel that eventually gave way to a TLSā€™d but it took a minute for them to land on that riff. The Utopian > No Comment (aka Pop Tart) > Fir is prettttty solid. No Comment in the WC slot works surprisingly well; had a nice little jam back into Fir then of course that little dance party in there is sweet. Didnā€™t make it thru the rest of the set but thatā€™s a pretty good 1st quarter

1 Like

Really digging this second set. Nothing out of this world, but nice flow and pretty unique with the techo/echo, the slightly extended BtL (even though it had a CYHMK tease) and the laid back dub > bliss of the WWS. No idea if they have been jamming that a lot lately or not, but feel like Iā€™m not use to it being this cool.

Nice set, hope they keep crushing for my Midwestern brothers.

3 Likes

Set 1: 3.7/10
Set 2: 7/10
Encore: 1/10

Show: 5.1/10

Just a touch above average.

7 Likes

Weighted averages got me 4.9, howā€™d you do your math?

(0.37*77 minute first set + 0.7 * 66 minute second set + 0.1 * 12 minute encore)/ (153 minute show) = 4.91/10

Is Techo Echo worth an automatic 0.2/10 bump?

@Kenwoo77 Check out this fucking Bisco math here.

8 Likes